Fuel tank capacity
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4slash6
  • 1 Post By Ohio Snake

Thread: Fuel tank capacity

Member #

Fuel tank capacity

Bought my first Explorer and enjoying it. It is a 2018 so it should have a 18.6 gallon tank but the gas light comes on around the 15 gallon mark. Do some of the new explorers have 16 gallon tanks or since it is still new (400 miles) it the SUV still working out its kinks so to speak? Any help why it shows 50 miles till empty at the 15 gallon mark is appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I think the tank is actually 18 gallons. I have a 2018 Platinum. I think the refuel light comes on around 1/4 tank. This makes sense since the fuel keeps the fuel pump cool if enough is in the tank. Pumps last longer with over heating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    On most cars the fuel light comes on with about 2 gallons left in the tank which will give you 30-50 miles to refuel. The tank on the 2018 Explorer is 18.6 gal which is small when coupled with the 3.5 EcoBoost.
    I also have a 2018 Platinum and the small fuel tank is an issue with me. My company vehicle is a Transit 250 with the 3.5 and that was the main selling point for me to buy the Explorer. (On the Transit fuel tank is 25 gal, down from the Econoline which was 32 gal.)

And the fuel keeping the in-tank fuel pump cool is a wives tale. The low fuel light is nothing more than a courtesy. If there was an issue with in-tank fuel pumps and heat the manufacture would put a requirement in the owners manual or just not put them in there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dejen3303 View Post
    On most cars the fuel light comes on with about 2 gallons left in the tank which will give you 30-50 miles to refuel. The tank on the 2018 Explorer is 18.6 gal which is small when coupled with the 3.5 EcoBoost.
    I also have a 2018 Platinum and the small fuel tank is an issue with me. My company vehicle is a Transit 250 with the 3.5 and that was the main selling point for me to buy the Explorer. (On the Transit fuel tank is 25 gal, down from the Econoline which was 32 gal.)

And the fuel keeping the in-tank fuel pump cool is a wives tale. The low fuel light is nothing more than a courtesy. If there was an issue with in-tank fuel pumps and heat the manufacture would put a requirement in the owners manual or just not put them in there.
    You are correct on the gallons. The dealer said 18, but Ill take the extra 1/4 tank. The ecoboost loves fuel, but not as much as my mustang.

I have a 2012 SVT Mustang Shelby whereas the low fuel light comes on the exact same time the Explorer comes on ( 1/4 tank or around 50 miles). My SVT supplement book does state to refuel at 1/4 tank to keep the pump lubricated and “operate properly”. An SVT engineer indicated the fuel acts as a natural “coolant” for the pump.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
    You are correct on the gallons. The dealer said 18, but Ill take the extra 1/4 tank. The ecoboost loves fuel, but not as much as my mustang.

I have a 2012 SVT Mustang Shelby whereas the low fuel light comes on the exact same time the Explorer comes on ( 1/4 tank or around 50 miles). My SVT supplement book does state to refuel at 1/4 tank to keep the pump lubricated and “operate properly”. An SVT engineer indicated the fuel acts as a natural “coolant” for the pump.

This is true...I never understood why some folks think fuel is not a coolant to the electric pumps. especially on the early 2000 explorers. just installed my 4th fuel pump. original owner,02 explorer , 130k miles, but sees a wide range of temperatures year round -26 degrees to mid +90's. heat is hell on these pumps.
    Ohio Snake likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slash6 View Post
    This is true...I never understood why some folks think fuel is not a coolant to the electric pumps. especially on the early 2000 explorers. just installed my 4th fuel pump. original owner,02 explorer , 130k miles, but sees a wide range of temperatures year round -26 degrees to mid +90's. heat is hell on these pumps.
    My mustang is definitely 1/4 tank. The Explorer kicks the refill light at 50 miles remaining.

4slash6 likes this.