2018 Homelink issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

2018 Homelink issues

Bought a new 2018 on 12/23. Had several issues crop up like the paint protection on the windshield pretty much making the driver side windshield wiper worthless. Dealer buffed it out. I think it works.

Homelink issues right from the get go. I have 2 older genie accelrator's but I have linked 3 Toyota's, Chevy, Honda to these Openers with no issues.

I tried every known possible procedure - Ford's, Homelinks, Genie - youtube - name it.

Finally called Homelink and they said they having numerous issues with 2018 Ford Explorer's and believe these are being damaged during installation.

I'm off to a rough start with this dealer - buying a new car and putting in several hours of work to resolve an issue???

Member #
    Same exact thing happened with me. The dealer had to see the vehicle first then order the visor. Took about 30 minutes to replace it.
    And I too spent hours trying to figure it out. That was before Christmas and I haven't tried to set it up yet. Kinda burnt out on it at this point.
    Last edited by dejen3303; 01-03-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dejen3303 View Post
    Same exact thing happened with me. The dealer had to see the vehicle first then order the visor. Took about 30 minutes to replace it.
    And I too spent hours trying to figure it out. That was before Christmas and I haven't tried to set it up yet. Kinda burnt out on it at this point.
    I feel your pain.

I kinda railed on the Sales Manager asking him he could get my old car back? He got everybody together to work on it but being tossed into the service queue for a new car?

The service manager proceeds to tell me that I probably know more about their homelink systems than anybody there which tells me there a lot of customers who never program their vehicles.

I hope to have this fixed this week.

Thanks for replying.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I gave up on the HomeLink. Its a total waste of time, energy and thought to make it work properly. It was much easier to clip a remote to the visor. The remote works flawlessly. May be I can reuse the three black buttons on the visor, formerly HomeLink buttons, to be: sirens, lights and ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    OK, update:
    I have 3 doors and openers. One is 6 months old and it is the kind you can sync with a smart phone. One is about 7 years old (Security Plus type) and one about 16.
    The 2 newer ones I was able to program in the car. The oldest one I had to program the homelink button with the remote and then use the "learn" button on the opener motor and return to the car to push the homelink button. The whole process from getting out the owners manual to programming to putting the manual away took about ten minutes. And everything works like it should.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dejen3303 View Post
    OK, update:
    I have 3 doors and openers. One is 6 months old and it is the kind you can sync with a smart phone. One is about 7 years old (Security Plus type) and one about 16.
    The 2 newer ones I was able to program in the car. The oldest one I had to program the homelink button with the remote and then use the "learn" button on the opener motor and return to the car to push the homelink button. The whole process from getting out the owners manual to programming to putting the manual away took about ten minutes. And everything works like it should.

Success!

Member #
    Update:
    Had the visor/homelink buttons replaced last week. Still does not work. [B][U] Have probably tried to program 5 X's since and have been up and down ladder to press the "learn" button on the opener another 5X's. I live close to the dealer, so I'm not giving up. Ridiculous!

Bought an '18 one yr ago in January. For 16 mos. the homelink garage door opener worked perfectly; then one day it stopped. Nothing since. To dealer next. Frustrating.
    Last edited by Randy78; 10-21-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Junior Member TiredofTechnology's Avatar
    Member #

It's fords Fault

Quote Originally Posted by Randy78 View Post
    Bought an '18 one yr ago in January. For 16 mos. the homelink garage door opener worked perfectly; then one day it stopped. Nothing since. To dealer next. Frustrating.
    The dealer knows something and he wont tell you. It's a manufactures problem. The Ford SYNC System on whole Sucks. Try disconnecting the battery and resetting the entire system. Make sure you check your electrical system for any moisture.

Member #
    Dealer service dept. has ordered a new visor. Didn't question anything, which may indicate that they've seen this before. We'll see how things work out.

Member #
    Update:
    Had the visor/homelink buttons replaced last week. Still does not work. [B][U] Have probably tried to program 5 X's since and have been up and down ladder to press the "learn" button on the opener another 5X's. I live close to the dealer, so I'm not giving up. Ridiculous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

18 explorer homelink
2018 explorer homelink to genie
2018 ford explorer homelink problems
2018 ford explorer programming home link
ford explorer 2018 homelink problems
ford explorer homelink programming

ford homelink programming problems

genie 2024 programming homelink in 2018 ford explorer
homelink service bulletin 2018 explorer
program 2018 ford explorer homelink
Click on a term to search for related topics.