Bubbling Paint on Hood - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bubbling Paint on Hood

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have been down this road with a 13' Explorer XLT. Its aluminum corrosion that starts under the front edge of the hood, creeps forward then up over the front edge. All replacement body panels are black primer. Ford (and any other manufacturer) do not factory paint replacement panels. A Ford authorized body shop replaced my hood and precisely matched the paint. Almost any large body shop has computer scan paint match technology and can do this. I traded our Kodiak Brown 13' this past August for a new 19'Sport. the paint on the hood was 4 years old when traded and had not dulled, faded, or color shifted.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Member #
    Hi all, I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with 53k kms and just noticed paint bubbles on the front edge of my hood. Went to the dealer and they will replace the hood under warranty.

Member #
    I had my hood replaced too. This cannot be repaired. One the corrosion has begun, a full new hood is required.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Hi guys, just saw the same issue on my 2017 Explorer as well. 4 large bubbling areas.

Did Ford cover and replace the hoods (+painting)? I'm at 40,000 and beyond the warranty now. Looks like a big issue for Ford as this will continue to happen on all of these model years.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Bubbling Fury

Quote Originally Posted by ethanallen5877 View Post
    Found about 6 small areas on front edge of my 2017 explorer with bubbling paint. Took it to the dealership and I guess it’s a known issue. Dealership called back and said Ford was going to replace the hood. No idea how long the replacement hood is going to take to come in though....

Here’s the kicker. Dealership said Ford is sending a black unpainted hood and the dealership will have to paint it....this doesn’t seem right to me. No way can a dealership get the same factory paint quality right? To me ford should be sending a factory painted hood. Am I wrong?
    Ford has an issue with the alloy of aluminum used in addition to it being applied over a steel substructure. I too had this issue with my'13 XLT. 3 months out of warranty BUT under 30K miles, the best Ford would do is meet me "half way", splitting the bill for a replacement hood with paint. It cost me $994.67 for a replacement hood.
    All hoods, and replacement body parts are provided in black primer. No vehicle manufacturer can stock body panels prepainted in all the variety of colors they offer. Quality body shops match the paint tint they use to the specific shade and metalic scatter of adjacent panels on your specific vehicle, which could not be done with pre-painted panels.
    I traded our '13 for a '19 sport last July and are keeping an eye on the area under the front lip of the hood where the corrosion first appears.

Member #
    I had the same concern with my 2017 and no one would know now that the hood has been replaced. My body shop did a great job. However, the first hood they received from Ford was defective. My vehicle was still under warranty so I didn’t pay anything.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I took my 17 sport in to the collision department of the ford dealership to inspect the bubbling paint on the hood. I’ve got 44,500 miles on it & they got the ball rolling on a replacement hood. It was covered !

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 2017Explorer View Post
    Hi guys, just saw the same issue on my 2017 Explorer as well. 4 large bubbling areas.

Did Ford cover and replace the hoods (+painting)? I'm at 40,000 and beyond the warranty now. Looks like a big issue for Ford as this will continue to happen on all of these model years.
    Hi guys, took my 2017 Explorer in for the bubbling paint on the hood. It was reviewed by Ford Body Shop and they covered it under warranty. Had 46,000 miles on it. They replaced the hood and matched the paint. Couldn't be happier with the service and warranty acceptance. Hope the replacement hood last a bit longer. ;o)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Search tags for this page

2017 ford explorer hood paint bubbling

2017 ford explorer paint bubbling

2017 ford explorer paint bubbling on hood
2017 ford explorer paint issues
ford bubbling paint
ford explorer 2017 hood paint

ford explorer hood paint bubbling

ford explorer recall on paint hood

ford forum on paint bubling on aluminum hoods

paint bubbling on explorer hood
Click on a term to search for related topics.