Apple Carplay USB hub
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bay_Crusher

Thread: Apple Carplay USB hub

Member #

Apple Carplay USB hub

Hi All,

I recently updated our 2016 XLT Explorer to mysync 3.0 via USB. Everything went fine with the system update, and I even uploaded the xml file back to Ford and it confirmed the update was successful. However, looking at images and video of the update, my home screen looks nothing like the 3.0 screens I see in the images or videos. My home screen looks like the older versions of mysync. Additionally, I'm trying to get carplay going on the unit, and in some videos I'm seeing that I need to get a different usb hub that allows the phone to communicate to the system when an iphone is connected. I've searched online and have found what I think to be the correct hub, but I'm wondering if I can replace the hub in the center console under the armrest, vs. switching out the hub under the head unit? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can’t just do an update and have it to Apple car play. You have to change out the screen, apim, and the usb hub, then download the new 3.3 update for it to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    elyk864 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
    Hi All,

I recently updated our 2016 XLT Explorer to mysync 3.0 via USB. Everything went fine with the system update, and I even uploaded the xml file back to Ford and it confirmed the update was successful. However, looking at images and video of the update, my home screen looks nothing like the 3.0 screens I see in the images or videos. My home screen looks like the older versions of mysync. Additionally, I'm trying to get carplay going on the unit, and in some videos I'm seeing that I need to get a different usb hub that allows the phone to communicate to the system when an iphone is connected. I've searched online and have found what I think to be the correct hub, but I'm wondering if I can replace the hub in the center console under the armrest, vs. switching out the hub under the head unit? Thanks!
    If you posted a photo of what your screen looks like now, it would help to diagnose what is going on. Are you sure you had Sync3 and updated to sync 3 v3.0? You may have updated Sync2/MFT to an updated version. I have recently done an upgrade from Sync2 to Sync 3, but like Bay Crusher said, I had to replace the Screen and APIM, then do a software update to at least Sync 3v2.0 to get apple car play.

Then you'll have to do the final conversion of the upgraded usb media hub in order to support apple car play. I'm about to do that myself now and am trying to avoid getting the 4dtech or infotainment wiring harness which can cost hundreds. I'm looking to splice into my existing wiring harness using a salvaged usb from a 2017 f150 but either way my stock usb media hub from Sync2 needs to be replaced.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Have you gotten to the point of wiring or connecting the new USB hub? does it look something like this? Name:  20201015_181329.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  2.64 MB Name:  20201015_181413.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  2.27 MBName:  20201015_181531.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  2.59 MBName:  20201015_181644.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  2.13 MB