Adding an electric trailer brake controller
    Member #

Adding an electric trailer brake controller

We want to buy a small travel trailer to tow behind our 2016 Ford Explorer with tow package and 3.5L V6. I need to add an electric brake controller. I know Ford has an oem controller that plugs into a plug under the dash. They tell me that then Ford has to program the computer to recognized the controller. There are several after market controlers that have adapters that plug into the under dash plug and then into the after market controller. My question is, do you still need to have the computed flashed to recognize the after market controller?

Member #
    Please, help me with this controller issue. Thank you,

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    If you are adding an aftermarket brake controller I don't see why you'd need to reprogram the car. The brake controller should wire in and handle all that. How big/how heavy is the trailer?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I added an aftermarket electric brake controller to my 2016 Explorer which also has the tow package and 3.5L. I just had to get the correct plug adapter that plugs in under the dash. It all worked perfectly without any need to flash the computer.

Member #

Size

Not big, under 4000 lbs.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nm6r View Post
    I added an aftermarket electric brake controller to my 2016 Explorer which also has the tow package and 3.5L. I just had to get the correct plug adapter that plugs in under the dash. It all worked perfectly without any need to flash the computer.
    Thanks so much. I figured as much, but they said if you added the Ford OEM controlled you had to flash the computed.

Member #

aftermarket controller

Quote Originally Posted by wdeason View Post
    We want to buy a small travel trailer to tow behind our 2016 Ford Explorer with tow package and 3.5L V6. I need to add an electric brake controller. I know Ford has an oem controller that plugs into a plug under the dash. They tell me that then Ford has to program the computer to recognized the controller. There are several after market controlers that have adapters that plug into the under dash plug and then into the after market controller. My question is, do you still need to have the computed flashed to recognize the after market controller?
    I purchased a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ + Ford adapter cable for my 2013 XLT with tow package. The unit easily plugged into the existing wiring harness under the dash and works great. No need to do anything to the car computer since the controller does not interface with it. Unless Ford made changes for 2016 model. Etrailer.com is a good source for info and products.