• 1 Post By elyk864
  • 1 Post By ChowChow
  • 1 Post By bubba

Thread: Tire pressure?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Tire pressure?

I have a 1995 ford explorer xlt, and my tires are 235/75R15 105SR SL in size. What would be the correct pressure for these tires? I'm thinking maybe 32-35 psi. The tire is rated to go to 40 psi but thats too high imo. I dont have the door sticker anymore that rates what it should be but from what i remember they had it low at like 26 psi because of the rollover incidents back when the truck came out with the firestone tires.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    As per a Ford TSB I think they updated the pressure to be set at 30psi. You never want to run what it says on the tire because that is the max the tire can hold, that tire will fit on a variety of different vehicles that weigh more or less.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yea im guessing between 30-34 psi would be acceptable.
    Redbert31 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Maybe if you call a local Ford dealer they can give you an idea of what it used to say on the label inside your door in the truck. If not they should be able to find out for you. Good luck. Also there are a few guys on Explorer maintenance thread who have 1995 Ford explorers who may be able to look inside their doors and let you know what the tire pressure should be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Redbert31; 04-01-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Assuming you are checking your tires “cold” meaning in the morning before the vehicle is driven. I would put 40 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear. Most of the weight of your vehicle is on the front tires. I have a 2014 Explorer Limited and it handles better and gets better tire life this way. Hope this helps
    Redbert31 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I checked ford and yokohama tires and they said the right psi for this truck and these tires would be 32-34 psi all around.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChowChow View Post
    I have a 1995 ford explorer xlt, and my tires are 235/75R15 105SR SL in size. What would be the correct pressure for these tires? I'm thinking maybe 32-35 psi. The tire is rated to go to 40 psi but thats too high imo. I dont have the door sticker anymore that rates what it should be but from what i remember they had it low at like 26 psi because of the rollover incidents back when the truck came out with the firestone tires.
    The original door sticker had low pressure because it made the truck ride better/smoother. They upped it after the roll-over issue came to light, more pressure makes the tire stiffer and helped reduce the chance of roll-overs.

I had a '98 with the same size tires and ran front and back at 32psi. I went up to 34-35psi in the rear when hauling/towing. 40psi is likely too much for that tire, I have a 2017 now that takes 35-36psi but they are different size tires and it's a completely different vehicle than the 90's version.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    A tire pressure thread? let me get some popcorn!
    IMO 35psi and you can't go wrong for any SUV. Increase if you are towing and always check cold. Never exceed the tire manufacturers recommended max.
    Rotate every 10k according to your owners manual.

Search tags for this page

air pressure for tires on explorer

correct tire pressure for ford explorer in hot temperatures

tire pressure 2016 explorer

Click on a term to search for related topics.