2018 -Tires wearing out-
    Member #

2018 -Tires wearing out-

2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    OE tires aim to be quiet and ride nice so you buy the car. They are not concerned with longevity at all. With that being said I personally run the Michelin Defender LTX.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy78 View Post
    2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.
    My 2016 Explorer XLT came with Michelin tires. I also have 30k miles with a lot of towing. I don't see having to replace them for another 30-40k miles. They are wearing great, quiet, handle well dry/wet/snow. I will eventually replace them with the same Michelin tires. They are expensive but by far the best value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Be sure to rotate your tires every 10k and do it by the book, not front to rear same side. Tire inflation is as important as rotating. I got almost 80k on a fully loaded T250 with the stock tires.

Member #
    I replaced the worthless Hankook OEM tires with Michelin Defender LTX tires. The Hankooks were terrible in the rain and unsafe in light snow. They only lasted 35k. With the Michelin’s, the explorer now drives like a 4x4.

Member #
    Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
    Anybody got psi suggestions.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy78 View Post
    Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
    Anybody got psi suggestions.
    You want to run the PSI on the door placard as long as you replaced them with the same size and load index as OE. That is cold pressure also, so in the morning before you drive anywhere.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Buy a good air gauge. I just inflated mine to 35 psi and the TPMS is incorrect.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT 202A in Star White with Towing package.

Member #
    I use JACO tire gauges and follow the tire inflation specification on the door placard of the vehicle. I keep one gauge in my tool box and 1 in each vehicle.

https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/col...litepro-series