Surge and hesitation at slow acceleration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Surge and hesitation at slow acceleration

Our 2017 Explorer 3.5 twin-turbo is experiencing a surge and hesitation at the beginning of a slow take off, or a rolling take off. There are no codes and the dealer has replaced the purge valve. It feels as though you are barely depressing the accelerator and letting off. Any ideas?

Member #
    Sounds like turbo lag. But the surge? Dealer replaced purge valve so there's the turbo diagnosis. How many miles? 2017 Sounds like it should be covered still.

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ffalan View Post
    Our 2017 Explorer 3.5 twin-turbo is experiencing a surge and hesitation at the beginning of a slow take off, or a rolling take off. There are no codes and the dealer has replaced the purge valve. It feels as though you are barely depressing the accelerator and letting off. Any ideas?
    I have a 2018 Platinum and it does the same thing. Only when you have driven it and parked a short time, like when you go to the store. It goes away very quickly. It will surge a couple of times after you leave the parking space and that's it. Dealer said "no codes, no problem." It has less than 5k on the clock and I'm monitoring it to see if it is getting better. I have a 2016 Transit work truck with almost 80k and the same engine and have never experienced this. (The Transit was a big reason why I traded my POS Acadia for the Ford)
    This is a problem and I hope we on the forum can identify it.
    Last edited by dejen3303; 07-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    This is EXACTLY what ours does! Waiting to "hear what the Ford Rep has to say"!

Member #
    Same problem here, 2017 4cyl ecoboost turbo Explorer 12,000 miles. Occasionally hesitation on acceleration from a standing point.

Member #
    Any update on this? I just bought a used 2013 Police edition with the 3.5 L EcoBoost 130,000 miles and it is doing the exact same thing. The guy I bought it from said the transmission is going on it so he gave me almost $5,000 off the book price. In my case it will hesitate like an engine miss going uphill and when you slowly roll the throttle. I noticed if you step on it the miss goes away and accelerates fine. I have an appointment with the dealership for a diagnostics ($90) in a week (earliest appointment). My thought was a coil is going bad or a plug but it isn't throwing an engine code.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013PopoEcoBoost View Post
    Any update on this? I just bought a used 2013 Police edition with the 3.5 L EcoBoost 130,000 miles and it is doing the exact same thing. The guy I bought it from said the transmission is going on it so he gave me almost $5,000 off the book price. In my case it will hesitate like an engine miss going uphill and when you slowly roll the throttle. I noticed if you step on it the miss goes away and accelerates fine. I have an appointment with the dealership for a diagnostics ($90) in a week (earliest appointment). My thought was a coil is going bad or a plug but it isn't throwing an engine code.
    I also have a 2013 Focus ST and they are super finicky with spark plugs. I'd check that also. My ST is modded a bit with a tune and other supporting mods. At WOT it would feel like it was missing but after a plug change it was perfect.

Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I'll give an update. I took it to the dealer and they recommended new plugs and coils. They wanted $1500 for it so I bought OEM parts on Amazon for $250 and replaced it myself. This did not fix the issue. It still feels like an engine miss when slowly accelerating. I also changed 5 quarts on the transmission with a drain and fill but I don't think that helped anything either. It sucks because the dealership misdiagnosed it and because I din't spend the $1500 with them I really can't hold them accountable either.

Junior Member TiredofTechnology's Avatar
    Member #
    It seems like the problem lies in your throttle body, (Fuel Injection). I know its a simple question but you did change your air filter, Yes? This a fuel delivery issue. If there's some rough idle or hesitation but it stops when there consistent hard acceleration then its in the throttle body.

Member #
    Yes, I put a new air filter in. It was pretty gross, so I put in a new one. I never said anything about a rough idle though. In the last day or two the problem seems to be better. I'm not sure if the plugs or coils somehow needed to break in? Idk sounds weird but it's better now. The dealer was going to look at it again but the tech called out sick. They rescheduled it for Monday. I was looking for a fuel filter but didn't see one. I think it may be inside the tank and part of fuel pump. Normally I do a throttle body cleaning as part of my tune ups but the throttle body is buried under the back side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast