Surge and hesitation at slow acceleration
    Member #

Surge and hesitation at slow acceleration

Our 2017 Explorer 3.5 twin-turbo is experiencing a surge and hesitation at the beginning of a slow take off, or a rolling take off. There are no codes and the dealer has replaced the purge valve. It feels as though you are barely depressing the accelerator and letting off. Any ideas?

Member #
    Sounds like turbo lag. But the surge? Dealer replaced purge valve so there's the turbo diagnosis. How many miles? 2017 Sounds like it should be covered still.

Sent from my LG-V35ThinQ using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ffalan View Post
    Our 2017 Explorer 3.5 twin-turbo is experiencing a surge and hesitation at the beginning of a slow take off, or a rolling take off. There are no codes and the dealer has replaced the purge valve. It feels as though you are barely depressing the accelerator and letting off. Any ideas?
    I have a 2018 Platinum and it does the same thing. Only when you have driven it and parked a short time, like when you go to the store. It goes away very quickly. It will surge a couple of times after you leave the parking space and that's it. Dealer said "no codes, no problem." It has less than 5k on the clock and I'm monitoring it to see if it is getting better. I have a 2016 Transit work truck with almost 80k and the same engine and have never experienced this. (The Transit was a big reason why I traded my POS Acadia for the Ford)
    This is a problem and I hope we on the forum can identify it.
    Last edited by dejen3303; 07-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FordExplorer.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    This is EXACTLY what ours does! Waiting to "hear what the Ford Rep has to say"!