Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 explorer. Looks like a new vehicle inside and out. Only 78k on it. Could not check out the transmission fluid since there is no dipstick. Drove it home about 1200 miles. I've had it for 3 weeks. In that time it drives great, very smooth and shifts fine. I took it to a reputable transmission shop to be serviced since I had no idea when it was last done. I figured it needed new fluid and a filter because on a few seldom occasions it took awhile to shift into reverse and about twice now after sitting for a few days it would shudder for a few seconds after taking off like you were driving on rumble strips. Anyway, the service shop brought me in to see what they found in the pan. Looked like a few small round rods about the diameter of pencil lead around 3/8" long. Said I need a $2500 rebuild. I had them just change the filter and fresh fluid. Drove it home and it drove like a new Cadillac. Question being..
Are they trying to make some cash off me or is there really some failure on the horizon? The mechanic at my work place thinks it's possible crap that flushed through from a previous rebuild. He specialized in semi truck diesel repair though. What's your thoughts? Keep driving and hope for the best or pay them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 02' was the 1st year with the "Serviceless" trans meaning, it was meant to last the lifetime of the vehicle, hence no dipstick. And, working the Ford account at my job at a large auto auction I remember a lot of trans failures on those models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I'll keep driving it as is. Still shifts perfectly fine. If it's throwing out needle bearings it doesn't make sense. Could be like a friend of mine said, might be left over junk stuck in the pan from a previous rebuild. Also, the price will be the same if I have it rebuilt now or 3 months from now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.