Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 XLT and the parking brake control (pedal) when pressed does not stay down and locked. The parking brake works because when I step and hold down the pedal, (the car does not move) but the pedal does not stay down and locked in position. The pedal will randomly stay down but that's about 1 out of 20 tries. In the 7+ years I've owned this vehicle I never had to use the parking brake but I recently moved and my new state has a "state inspection" so now I have to care.

1- Has anyone dealt with this before? Not much online, other than possibly the pedal assembly may need to be replaced. I read on another forum about the possibility that it needs lubrication and spray lithium grease in the assembly mechanism.

2- In order for me to gain access and remove the parking brake pedal, I have to remove the BCM. If I unplug the connections to the BCM, would I need to reprogram it? or will it be fine to unplug and remove to get to the parking brake pedal?

Thank you

·
Banned
10 Posts
I have a 2013 XLT and the parking brake control (pedal) when pressed does not stay down and locked. The parking brake works because when I step and hold down the pedal, (the car does not move) but the pedal does not stay down and locked in position. The pedal will randomly stay down but that's about 1 out of 20 tries. In the 7+ years I've owned this vehicle I never had to use the parking brake but I recently moved and my new state has a "state inspection" so now I have to care.

1- Has anyone dealt with this before? Not much online, other than possibly the pedal assembly may need to be replaced. I read on another forum about the possibility that it needs lubrication and spray lithium grease in the assembly mechanism.

2- In order for me to gain access and remove the parking brake pedal, I have to remove the BCM. If I unplug the connections to the BCM, would I need to reprogram it? or will it be fine to unplug and remove to get to the parking brake pedal?

First disconnect the battery before starting work. After you reconnect the battery the BCM will reprogram itself after driving a few miles

·
Banned
10 Posts
First disconnect the battery before starting work. After you reconnect the battery the BCM will reprogram itself after driving a few miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts