Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, I would like any information on how to maintain the windshield Pillar Molding on my newly acquired 2014 Explorer. I had its windshield replaced recently, and then the driver side molding flew off when we went high speeds on the interstate later that day. I got it replaced, and now the passenger side pillar molding is coming loose. Is there a way to reattach it with glue, as I was told it was supposed to have been replaced with the windshield, but wasn't. The body shop would not touch it without an insurance claim.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
3 Posts
My drivers side pillar flew off once and I replaced it. Later My windshield had to be replaced and of course both eventually flew off. It happens to so many explorer's. Eventually they added it to the body so it wouldn't fly off. What you need to is by the bracket and the pillar, not just the pillar. The bracket has an attached weatherstripping. Also use some heavy duty silicone so it won't happen again. I learned the hard way and didn't purchase the bracket, so now I have no weatherstripping, but I gave some badass silicone sealant. It hasn't budged, even in heavy hurricane winds.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
3 Posts
My drivers side pillar flew off once and I replaced it. Later My windshield had to be replaced and of course both eventually flew off. It happens to so many explorer's. Eventually they added it to the body so it wouldn't fly off. What you need to is by the bracket and the pillar, not just the pillar. The bracket has an attached weatherstripping. Also use some heavy duty silicone so it won't happen again. I learned the hard way and didn't purchase the bracket, so now I have no weatherstripping, but I gave some badass silicone sealant. It hasn't budged, even in heavy hurricane winds.
Rectangle Font Fashion accessory Metal Auto part
Rectangle Musical instrument Bumper Musical instrument accessory Font

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rexbussell: Thanks! Your post was exactly what I was looking for. Yes, we had to replace both the pillar molding and its bracket, as both are deemed as "replaceable"= required! In the interim, I learned that both sides are covered by insurance as part of the windshield re-do. However I would like to not do this as a matter of course, so I will follow through with your suggestions on silicone caulking, to "stick the landing" on this project! --EKV

·
Registered
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
3 Posts
Rexbussell: Thanks! Your post was exactly what I was looking for. Yes, we had to replace both the pillar molding and its bracket, as both are deemed as "replaceable"= required! In the interim, I learned that both sides are covered by insurance as part of the windshield re-do. However I would like to not do this as a matter of course, so I will follow through with your suggestions on silicone caulking, to "stick the landing" on this project! --EKV
I'll get the name of the silicone I used Monday for you. Rtv something lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.