Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_2120.JPG

Anyone else having this issue? I've had it fixed twice (both sides) and last time, the dealer supposedly replaced parts, which we waited two months for. Now they have ordered parts again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
View attachment 915

Anyone else having this issue? I've had it fixed twice (both sides) and last time, the dealer supposedly replaced parts, which we waited two months for. Now they have ordered parts again.
I saw a black 2017 explorer sport with that same exact damage in Ohio a week ago. I was trying to figure out what caused it.....thought a car wash may have done that.

Starting to wonder if there is a defect in the rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 Explorer has the same problem. My dealer says that many, many Explorers have this problem. Perhaps most of them. They said it is an issue with the design, the attachments are simply not strong enough to hold onto the rails. My Explorer has 38,000 miles. They told me to contact Ford Customer Service to get authorization, which I did today. I have a vmail from Ford, hoping to connect with them tomorrow.

I drove Ford pickups for years until one of them had an a transmission problem that Ford could not fix in spite of multiple attempts. I thought they should replace it, but they refused. I switched to Chevy for the several more trucks, then a Toyota Tundra, then another Chevy. When I started shopping again a year ago, my brother convinced me to give Ford another chance. I hope I’m not sorry. I will post again on this topic to let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At least its releasing from the back and not the other way around! That'd be wild coming loose from the front. The image doesn't look like there is any actual attachment point at all- is it just a pressfit, or is there a tab of some sort that's snapped off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried new snaps, new cap parts, glue, epoxy, tape ... nothing worked! So since the dealer/Ford had no other alternatives, I said "what the hell, screw it; and I did. Yes that's right I screwed it. Two 1 1/2 inch long black anodized drywall screws, one in the front (about 3 inches back from the front tip) and one in the back (about 3 inches before the end of the cap) and DANG ... problem solved. Seriously, it works; now it ain't pretty, but if you use the black screws, it's hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 Explorer has the same problem. My dealer says that many, many Explorers have this problem. Perhaps most of them. They said it is an issue with the design, the attachments are simply not strong enough to hold onto the rails. My Explorer has 38,000 miles. They told me to contact Ford Customer Service to get authorization, which I did today. I have a vmail from Ford, hoping to connect with them tomorrow.

I drove Ford pickups for years until one of them had an a transmission problem that Ford could not fix in spite of multiple attempts. I thought they should replace it, but they refused. I switched to Chevy for the several more trucks, then a Toyota Tundra, then another Chevy. When I started shopping again a year ago, my brother convinced me to give Ford another chance. I hope I’m not sorry. I will post again on this topic to let you know how it turns out.
The dealership worked with Ford and repaired it. They used the same adhesive that holds windshields in place. The repair was done very quickly, but they then kept it for 6 hours which was after hours, so they gave me a loaner which I returned the next day and got my Explorer back. Looks great! So far so good, no issues!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried new snaps, new cap parts, glue, epoxy, tape ... nothing worked! So since the dealer/Ford had no other alternatives, I said "what the hell, screw it; and I did. Yes that's right I screwed it. Two 1 1/2 inch long black anodized drywall screws, one in the front (about 3 inches back from the front tip) and one in the back (about 3 inches before the end of the cap) and DANG ... problem solved. Seriously, it works; now it ain't pretty, but if you use the black screws, it's hardly noticeable.
Can you post a pic because I have the same problem front and back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have the same issue with the keypad for panel which has come off twice now already. That panel is held on by double sided tape which is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 915

Was just told by my local dealer service dept, this is now a recall. Have a 2017, 20,000 miles. They have a stronger glue they are using and it has to cure for hours. Plan to leave it at the shop overnight if possible. They have also ordered a new hood, under warranty, corrosion on front edge of hood. Started as one spot, now several spots across the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts