Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Explorer 3.5 Sport has 50K...Upon brakes inspection the rear brakes are much more worn than front brakes. I believe that if the brakes are starting now both front and rear that rear brakes wear first this should not be the case unless there is a problem. I have the extended warranty. Is there a proportion valve or something which would cause rear brakes to significantly wear before front brakes? Problem? I have the extended warranty Is this a potential warranty issue? Thanks.
Overall I am pleased with the performance of my explorer. It is 3.5L and I think it is a good value.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2018 Explorer 3.5 Sport has 50K...Upon brakes inspection the rear brakes are much more worn than front brakes. I believe that if the brakes are starting now both front and rear that rear brakes wear first this should not be the case unless there is a problem. I have the extended warranty. Is there a proportion valve or something which would cause rear brakes to significantly wear before front brakes? Problem? I have the extended warranty Is this a potential warranty issue? Thanks.
Overall I am pleased with the performance of my explorer. It is 3.5L and I think it is a good value.
Same for me. Replacing rotors and pads shortly. Deciding on aftermarket or stock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Same for me. Replacing rotors and pads shortly. Deciding on aftermarket or stock.

This is what I went with, I do tow a 4,000lbs travel trailer. Should be showing up today, hopefully find some time this weekend to install them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is my take on this.
I've owned a few cars, mostly bought new and driven for a hundred k miles or so. A few I've traded sooner. I have driven lots of work vehicles. I'm a mechanic so they are pretty well loaded. Traditionally the front brakes will wear out first because inertia puts the majority of the braking on the front. Modern motorcycles have 2 brakes in the front and 1 in the rear for this reason.
The last T250 I was assigned wore the rears out at 60k, the average weight was 7,200 lbs so it was loaded. It was a 2016 YM. I'm not a hard braker. The front's went to 110k.
The T250 I got when I moved to Texas had 45k on the clock and the rears were already touching metal. I have no idea how the first 2 drivers drove. I asked the repair shop if this was unusual or if something was wrong. He said there was no problem with the vehicle. He did say he is seeing this more that the rears wear out before the fronts. He had no resolution. The only common denominator here is we are talking about Fords.
I have 22k on my 2018 and when I rotate the tires at 30k I will be sure to measure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just replaced the pads and rotors on my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, the fronts were in really good shape but the rears pretty thin on the right rear inner. I go the car used a couple years ago at about 30,000 so I don't know what was replaced at that time. It's about 70,000 miles now. I really like the brakes I got from AutoAnything (Power Stop Brand), got the drilled and slotted for towing as we tow a 4,000lbs RV trailer. I did the brake bedding process with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts