Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.
My 2016 Explorer XLT came with Michelin tires. I also have 30k miles with a lot of towing. I don't see having to replace them for another 30-40k miles. They are wearing great, quiet, handle well dry/wet/snow. I will eventually replace them with the same Michelin tires. They are expensive but by far the best value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the worthless Hankook OEM tires with Michelin Defender LTX tires. The Hankooks were terrible in the rain and unsafe in light snow. They only lasted 35k. With the Michelin’s, the explorer now drives like a 4x4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
Anybody got psi suggestions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
Anybody got psi suggestions.
You want to run the PSI on the door placard as long as you replaced them with the same size and load index as OE. That is cold pressure also, so in the morning before you drive anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2018 Platinum 3 most ago, only 20k, but the Ford dealership had put 4 brand new tires on it. I don't know what they come equipped with, but I should have seen the red flags. I've only put 1500 miles on it, but I'm only getting less than 12 mpg city and under 18 hwy, and that's when I deliberately drive like the perverbial "old lady". It's a 3.5L Ecoboost 4wd.
I have done all the "normal" little checking one can do at home, and the paperwork from the dealership showing the "115 item checkpoint". I'm thinking that's a crock!
ANY IDEAS WHY MY MILEAGE IS SO POOR? ITS HALF OF WHAT IS ADVERTISED!!! My 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L got better mileage, so did my high performance 30+ year old firebird!
ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME... Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought a 2018 Platinum 3 most ago, only 20k, but the Ford dealership had put 4 brand new tires on it. I don't know what they come equipped with, but I should have seen the red flags. I've only put 1500 miles on it, but I'm only getting less than 12 mpg city and under 18 hwy, and that's when I deliberately drive like the perverbial "old lady". It's a 3.5L Ecoboost 4wd.
I have done all the "normal" little checking one can do at home, and the paperwork from the dealership showing the "115 item checkpoint". I'm thinking that's a crock!
ANY IDEAS WHY MY MILEAGE IS SO POOR? ITS HALF OF WHAT IS ADVERTISED!!! My 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L got better mileage, so did my high performance 30+ year old firebird!
ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME... Thanks
I get 12-15 towing a 4,000lbs RV trailer with my 3.5 EB Sport. Something is up for sure. We normally get 20+ driving on the highway. Are you looking at the MPG on the computer or physically calculating it yourself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts