Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
OE tires aim to be quiet and ride nice so you buy the car. They are not concerned with longevity at all. With that being said I personally run the Michelin Defender LTX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2018 Explorer- 30k miles. The tires seem to be wearing more quickly than anticipated. Normal use since purchase. I know cos. put lower quality tires on vehicles these days. Anybody out there experiencing same? If so, what tires do you recommend? Thanks.
My 2016 Explorer XLT came with Michelin tires. I also have 30k miles with a lot of towing. I don't see having to replace them for another 30-40k miles. They are wearing great, quiet, handle well dry/wet/snow. I will eventually replace them with the same Michelin tires. They are expensive but by far the best value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be sure to rotate your tires every 10k and do it by the book, not front to rear same side. Tire inflation is as important as rotating. I got almost 80k on a fully loaded T250 with the stock tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the worthless Hankook OEM tires with Michelin Defender LTX tires. The Hankooks were terrible in the rain and unsafe in light snow. They only lasted 35k. With the Michelin’s, the explorer now drives like a 4x4.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
Anybody got psi suggestions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks to all who answered. Finally took vehicle to tire store; tread measured 4/32, which is severe for 33k miles. Those were Hancook OEM. Very disappointing. I purchased the Michelin Defender LTX that christes (and others) recommended. 70k life expectation. I asked salesman about the Michelin's and simple said "go no further". Maybe a bit costly, but with trips to FL upcoming, I feel not only that I got great tires, but peace of mind. One last question. They inflated them to about 37+, so after a bit of driving, the readout is 39+. That seems too high, particularly in a warm weather state??
Anybody got psi suggestions.
You want to run the PSI on the door placard as long as you replaced them with the same size and load index as OE. That is cold pressure also, so in the morning before you drive anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy a good air gauge. I just inflated mine to 35 psi and the TPMS is incorrect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts