Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Platinum, including the tow package. I have a Kendon motorcycle trailer with LED lights. When the trailer is hooked up, strange things happen. If the vehicle is locked, and the left side passenger door is opened, the tailgate pops open. Sometimes it opens completely, sometimes it goes up and then closes half way. Only happens when parked, but more than once dumped luggage out the back.

I took it to the dealer, who confirmed the strange response, but quickly blamed the trailer, and would not check further.

In the end, I figured it out. First I replaced the trailer taillights with new LEDs. While temporarily wired, the issue resolved, however once permanent connections were made the action resumed. This indicated to me that the LED lights do not have enough resistance, and the Explorer electronics are overly sensitive to some voltage spikes. I ended up adding resistors in parallel to the brake lights. This resolved the issue.

No cudos to Ford, as the dealer never even returned my call to document the solution with Ford. While this may be a one-off vehicle issue, but if others experience wierd responses with LED trailer lights, this may be the solution you need.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your post is very interesting. I just purchased a 2021 Limited Hybrid with the Class III package. With no trailer connection, and using a volt meter, I attempted to confirm that Pin 4 (12V - Charging) on the 7 pin connector is active. With a signal light on, while I was measuring various pin voltages, the tailgate mysteriously opened twice. I have the auto-open feature by swinging your foot under the back of the vehicle, however I was behind the hitch and not swinging feet or hands underneath. Now I wonder if I accidentally came across the same issue you describe???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts