Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Explorer Limited with :
  • HILL START ASSIST
  • INTELLIGENT 4WD - TERRAIN MANAGEMENT W/ 7 SELECTABLE DRIVE MODES
  • TRANSMISSION - 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC
  • 2.3L ECOBOOST® ENGINE WITH AUTO START-STOP TECHNOLOGY
I have had a few odd issues with the shifting dial not being in the right gear, but recently it got worse. I pulled into a parking lot, parked the car, and started getting out. The car started driving forward. We stopped the car when my passenger reached under to hit the brake pedal. We couldn't put it into gear - any gear - until we used the key fob to "restart" it.

There is the rollaway recall, but I don’t think my transmission “broke” it is still drivable.

I was told by a friend that his Lincoln had a recall for this issue a few years back, but wondering if anyone has heard of the issue with 2021 Explorers?

The shift dial is a terrible design.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2021 Explorer Limited with :
  • HILL START ASSIST
  • INTELLIGENT 4WD - TERRAIN MANAGEMENT W/ 7 SELECTABLE DRIVE MODES
  • TRANSMISSION - 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC
  • 2.3L ECOBOOST® ENGINE WITH AUTO START-STOP TECHNOLOGY
I have had a few odd issues with the shifting dial not being in the right gear, but recently it got worse. I pulled into a parking lot, parked the car, and started getting out. The car started driving forward. We stopped the car when my passenger reached under to hit the brake pedal. We couldn't put it into gear - any gear - until we used the key fob to "restart" it.

There is the rollaway recall, but I don’t think my transmission “broke” it is still drivable.

I was told by a friend that his Lincoln had a recall for this issue a few years back, but wondering if anyone has heard of the issue with 2021 Explorers?

The shift dial is a terrible design.

View attachment 1313
Seriously? You didn't receive a recall notice for this very issue? It's not the transmission, it's the rear differential. Likely your pin broke as per the recall. Get it to your dealer for a free fix. In the meantime, use your E-brake every time you stop and park.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well that's great. But since the problem appears to be the same, take it in to the dealer and explain. I'm sure it's under warranty anyway. Here is my recall info..... I havn't taken mine in yet. Just put the ebrake on each time you park. Good luck.

2021FORD Explorer
2021 FORD EXPLORER

VIN: 1FMSK7D***** Recall data refreshed on Sep 01,2022
1 Unrepaired Recallsassociated with this VIN
Apr 14,2022
Manufacturer Recall Number22S27
NHTSA Recall NumberAwaiting#
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryON YOUR VEHICLE THE REAR AXLE MOUNTING BOLT MAY FRACTURE DURING VEHICLE ACCELERATION.
Safety RiskA FRACTURED REAR AXLE BOLT WILL ALLOW THE REAR AXLE HOUSING TO MOVE OUT OF POSITION, RESULTING IN SEVERE NOISE AND VIBRATION. IF THE REAR AXLE BOLT BREAKS, THE DRIVESHAFTHALF SHAFTS MAY BECOME DISCONNECTED, RESULTING IN LOSS OF TRANSMISSION TORQUE TO THE REAR WHEELS WHICH IS NECESSARY TO HOLD THE VEHICLE IN PARK. IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED, THE LOSS OF THE PRIMARY PARK TORQUE WILL ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO ROLL IN PARK INCREASING THE RISK OF CRASH AND INJURY.
RemedyNON-POLICE UNITS FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE TO THE LATEST LEVEL TO AUTOMATICALLY ENGAGE THE ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR. SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE IN MAY AND JUNE DEPENDING ON YOUR VEHICLES MODEL YEAR AND ENGINE. CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER FOR AVAILABILITY. --- POLICE UNITS - THE PARTS REQUIRED TO REPAIR EXPLORER POLICE UNITS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE BY THE END OF 3RD QUARTER 2022. OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts