Ford Explorer Forum banner

2021 Initial Quality

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GjwRI 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2021 Explorer Limited Hybrid AWD. There are multiple issues I have found and I was curious how rampant these items may or may not be. I have owned a F-350 and a Fusion Hybrid and never had any significant issues. Is their initial quality this poor and/or is their Quality Control at the factory lacking this much?

1. Driver side window intermittently won’t roll up
2. Rear hatch won’t open all the way intermittently
3. Headliner is loose above the driver door right on the edge where it tucks under weatherstripping
4. Chip inside the window glass on the windshield
5. Wire visible behind A pillar trim on passenger side at the windshield
6. Transmission got stuck in first gear 1 time after stopping at a stop sign
7. Code module not working at the dealership when they try to check for issues

#2 ·
I also own the same SUV. Regarding item 1, same problem for me: driver side controls stopped controlling all windows. I discovered a vehicle power cycle restored control. Dealer solution was to fully reprogram the door (window?) control module. So far, so good. Note this issue is addressed in Ford TSB # SSM 50082. Items 2 thru 7 I have not experienced yet. I have had several other issues, most notably an engine replacement (yup, 1800 miles) due to coolant leak into cylinders. Also, a dash trim panel does not fit correctly, dealer replacing. Also, ECO (transmission drive mode) summary screen always displays "--"; electronic control module to be replaced when parts received. I think Ford factory Quality Control is lacking.

#4 ·
Update 12/23: ECO summary screen repaired by 1) me demonstrating issue with technician driving the car. This "lit a light" in his thinking resulting in 2) proper software upgrade to the proper control module. Replacement engine appears to operate correctly, no engine fault codes at 14K miles to date.