Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I have a 97 with the SOHC engine. It looks like the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced and apparently none are available from ford or the usual auto parts places. The original regulator bolts to the front of the passenger side fuel rail and has a hose integral to the part. I do not have the ford part number so haven't been able to track one down in the discontinued parts market. Any leads on locating a replacement regulator would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Following up my own question with the results of searching elsewhere and finding a solution.

The fuel pressure regulator is no longer available from Ford. No manufacturer has stepped in to supply a fuel pressure regulator. We are left to our own devices.

The Bosch part number on the original fuel pressure regulator is 0 280 160 555. It turns out that Bosch part number 0 280 160 554 is similar but has a hose barb instead of an integral hose. The 554 was used on Volvo 850 in the last half of the '90s and it is still available. Other manufacturers also supply the Volvo market. GP Sorensen 800-521 is available through Autozone listed as the correct Volvo part.

I bought the GP Sorensen part and installed it. The o-ring seal to the fuel rail leaked the on first pressure test so I swapped the original Ford o-ring onto the GP Sorensen part and re-installed. No leak on second test. The Ford o-ring appeared to have a slightly larger OD than the GP Sorensen o-ring.

Mating the return fuel line to the hose barb on the GP Sorensen fuel regulator was a bit of a pain. The stainless steel braiding had to be trimmed away to allow the inner hose to expand enough to go over the barb. A sharp set of mini side cutters served to trim the braid but it was tedious.

That's about it. Oh, one other thing is that I did use a hacksaw to cut the steel braided line. Wrapped the line with tape and then cut with firm strokes using a good blade. The cut went well with little fraying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts