Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all.

My wife’s 06 Explorer 4.0L needs to have the timing components replaced and contemplating if I should go with the Cloyes 9-0398SB Timing Chain Kit.

Will appreciate feedback from anyone that has had any experience with this particular brand/ timing kit. Is it good quality? Proper fitment? Long lasting?

Regards,
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Ford Explorer XLS, 2WD, 4.0 V6 SOHC, Vin E
2 Posts
Yes. So far so good. I used the Cloyes kit when we had to yank the block out and replace all the timing chain components in my 2002 XLS, 4.0 V6 SOHC (different part number though, I have a 3rd Gen).

Did that at 133,000 miles, I am now at 208,000 miles and it still runs like a champ. Sprockets and some other components were BorgWarner stamped, and the kit I got used the 6 leaf spring designed main tensioner that Ford finally switched to instead of their moronic 3 leaf spring design they used originally in the 2002 and maybe even the 2003.

They had a bazillion repairs coming in due to the poor original 3 leaf spring design. I also had chunks of plastic guides in my lower oil pan. Surprised the engine survived that nightmare.

Just make sure you get the special tool required to lock the cams in place if you have a SOHC engine. another $200+, and nobody rents that tool out. I mean NOBODY. Bought the tool, used it for the timing chain kit replacement, then re-sold the tool as used and recovered most of my money back for it.

Can't remember the part numbers, can't even find the receipts, been that long. Wish I had more info for you, but Cloyes is definitely high quality stuff, no doubt. Better than the OEM in many reviews, mechanic's opinions, etc.
That's what lead me to pull the trigger and buy that kit.

P.S. - Fair warning, use the OEM gaskets ESPECIALLY for the upper oil pan, etc.
I used Fel Pro gaskets and have had an upper oil pan gasket leak when engine runs since then. Don't care, not tearing the block out again to replace it. Ford mechanic told me later that, yes indeed, that engine is very picky about gaskets, especially the upper oil pan,

I just reset the trip odometer every time I top off the oil. I know how many miles for city and highway driving before I get down to 1/4 - 1/3 quart low and top it off religiously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just rebuilt one on an '06 with Cloyes. I was pleased with the quality.

Before you start. Check your wire harness. Mine is trash, so now I have a rebuilt boat anchor. Junk yard harnesses have the same issue. New parts are NLA.

'06-'10 4.0L PCM harness issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts