Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 explorer xlt and it needs a tune up, hard starting first thing in the morning takes a while to start but once warmed up no problem starting up. I'm thinking this is a sparking issue? My mechanic says a tune up is an hour to hour and a half job is this correct? Also i just wanted to change the plugs and the wires out but he said if your not going to change the distributor cap and rotor its not even worth changing the plugs and wires is this correct or is he just looking to get more money out of me? Also what does a modern tune up consist of, something from a 95 and up? I know a tune up isnt like the old days in the 40's 50's and 60's. I just wanted a little info so i dont get ripped off lol thanks for any help in this matter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Plugs could be causing it, easy to replace and relatively cheap. But taking a bit to start could be a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To test the fuel delivery in the morning, turn the key to the on position to prime the pump, then off, then back on, then off, then try to start it. If it starts faster it may be a fuel issue. If it's the same then it could be the plugs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks elyk for replying i had to make a comment on my post i dont have a distributor cap and rotor on 95 i have a ignition coil. So elyk do you think the fuel delivery issue could be a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel injectors? Or do you think its the fuel pump? I hear the fuel pump every morning when i turn the key but dont fully turn on the truck i hear it activating sounds like it always had doesnt sound strange in any way. My mechanic told me when i start the truck in the morning to prime the fuel pump by not just trying to turn on the truck but by turning it on and off on and off a few times to prime the pump. Does any of this sound like the pcv valve needs replacing? I'm just guessing now im not a mechanic or mechanically inclined i just know how to care for my original 1995 i bought new 26 years ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Usually if it's a clogged filter when trying to apply full throttle you'll get some sputter also because there is a physical restriction. You'll have to have someone measure the fuel rail pressure to see if it's within spec at start up, if it is the pump is fine. It'll be something else in the fuel delivery system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What else could be causing that in the fuel delivery system i think we have covered almost everything right? Also when i drive the truck after start up it drives like a brand new truck no hesitation or sputtering i only have like 150K on the truck its very low miles. So when i drive it it goes quick and fast just like when i first got it so it cant be injectors or filter right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
What else could be causing that in the fuel delivery system i think we have covered almost everything right? Also when i drive the truck after start up it drives like a brand new truck no hesitation or sputtering i only have like 150K on the truck its very low miles. So when i drive it it goes quick and fast just like when i first got it so it cant be injectors or filter right?
Doesn't sound like a fuel pump issue, may be worth running some fuel injector cleaner through it though. I'd pull a plug or two and see what they look like also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea thanks again for all your knowledge so i was thinking it might be the ignition coil? Should i get that replaced with my tune-up? Or do you think its the injectors or the fuel filter? And i had replaced the fuel filter about 20,000 miles ago or maybe 30K so i dont think it would be the filter. Anyway thanks again and what fuel cleaner would you recommend thats any good i heard that berryman chemtool is pretty good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did what you said this morning i primed the fuel pump three times before starting the engine and the truck still took a few turns starting so thats most probably the spark plugs right? I think its a spark issue not a fuel or air or compression issue what do you think?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did what you said this morning i primed the fuel pump three times before starting the engine and the truck still took a few turns starting so thats most probably the spark plugs right? I think its a spark issue not a fuel or air or compression issue what do you think?
Yeah I'd start with the plugs, relatively cheap and easy to do. Worth doing either way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'd start with the plugs, relatively cheap and easy to do. Worth doing either way.
I hate to bother you man but ive looked online and i cant seem to find an answer i bought new copper plugs autolite for my tune-up but i dont know if these are the correct plugs that "originally" came with my truck. They say they will work with my truck but i just wanted to know if my truck came with copper plugs or platnium plugs originally because they are saying never down grade your plugs so if my truck did have platnium originally i dont want to go down to copper plugs. Does this make sense to you? I just went with the copper plugs because people were saying that if you have a older truck copper is better because it burns hotter and wont foul up as fast with oil and gas. Any help here i really appreciate im so confused lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hate to bother you man but ive looked online and i cant seem to find an answer i bought new copper plugs autolite for my tune-up but i dont know if these are the correct plugs that "originally" came with my truck. They say they will work with my truck but i just wanted to know if my truck came with copper plugs or platnium plugs originally because they are saying never down grade your plugs so if my truck did have platnium originally i dont want to go down to copper plugs. Does this make sense to you? I just went with the copper plugs because people were saying that if you have a older truck copper is better because it burns hotter and wont foul up as fast with oil and gas. Any help here i really appreciate im so confused lol.
Motorcraft is the OE Ford brand. Found this to be the OE part number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts