Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Explorer XLT did not come with fog lights. I bought Ford OEM fog lights, the Ford wiring harness for fog lights and the Ford interior light switch for fog lights. Everything was correctly installed by a local body shop. The Fog Lights will not come on even though every fog light part is installed. The local dealer's service rep said I should get a FORscan USB adapter for my laptop and download all the "AS BUILT" and other data and print it out. After that is done he said to bring it in for an appointment to the service department with the print outs to activate the Fog Lights. I have not gone to the dealer yet.
Has anyone else had any experience with this?

· Registered
5 Posts
My 2020 Explorer XLT did not come with fog lights. I bought Ford OEM fog lights, the Ford wiring harness for fog lights and the Ford interior light switch for fog lights. Everything was correctly installed by a local body shop. The Fog Lights will not come on even though every fog light part is installed. The local dealer's service rep said I should get a FORscan USB adapter for my laptop and download all the "AS BUILT" and other data and print it out. After that is done he said to bring it in for an appointment to the service department with the print outs to activate the Fog Lights. I have not gone to the dealer yet.
Has anyone else had any experience with this?
STOP it cannot be done.....I did same as you did ....even went to ford to have them activate BCM module fog lamp circuit.....BCM's are different based on options ordered.....while the software has the options the FET's are not in a BCM if the fog light option wasn't factory ordered.

I added two relays one tapped into parking lights and another to battery....fogs came with parking and or headlights.....I traded it in last September for a 2021 AWD Limited Hybrid.

Used FORSCAN to diable double honk when key is in pocket and I leave it running and made the Fogs stay on when brights are on

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STOP it cannot be done.....I did same as you did ....even went to ford to have them activate BCM module fog lamp circuit.....BCM's are different based on options ordered.....while the software has the options the FET's are not in a BCM if the fog light option wasn't factory ordered.

I added two relays one tapped into parking lights and another to battery....fogs came with parking and or headlights.....I traded it in last September for a 2021 AWD Limited Hybrid.

Used FORSCAN to diable double honk when key is in pocket and I leave it running and made the Fogs stay on when brights are on
Just so I get this correct. You took your 2020 Explorer to the Ford dealer service department with all the OEM Fog lights and parts installed and the Ford Dealer Service Department still was unable to get the fog lights to work? Obviously that's really bad news! You say you wired the fog lights up by-passing the Ford Software lock out? I would really like to know how and what you did to accomplish that. I have no intention of trading my XLT Explorer in just to get fog lights. Please tell me how you were able to "hot wire" the lights and what kind of mechanic you used or how you did this yourself.
Thank you in advance!

· Registered
5 Posts
The fog light circuit is missing in the BCM because the foglight option wasn't part of the factory build...you cannot turn on what it doesn't have.
Forscan list every option But if that option was not order you cannot just turn it on. I was able to get the green fog icon to come on once I changed the switch, yes I was able to turn the fog option in the BCM via software BUT the circuit uses FET's to protect it THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR BCM THER FORE THE CIRCUIT will not send power to lights.

I paid for the ford service online wiring, printed and traced every harness and connector then went to ford no luck.

I ended up tapping into the parking light circuit and installed a relay triggered by the the parking ( pull from back of light ) lights 12vdc. I added a second relay to isolate the circuit and power the fogs from accessory fuse box. I added a small micro switch to the light switch but never wired it.

I got so fed up with that POS 2.1 and 10 speed trans bucking and jerking, lack of pickup, stalling when trying to change lanes on the highway, not to mention that auto stop start crap I dumped it with 8,000 miles. The 3.3 AWD Hybrid Limited actually has a nice rumbled when you mash the peddle to the floor

Log into Forscan search 2020 explorer fog lights I documented it there... spend a few days reading NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE to do the fog light option.

· Registered
5 Posts
The fog light circuit is missing in the BCM because the foglight option wasn't part of the factory build...you cannot turn on what it doesn't have.
Forscan list every option But if that option was not order you cannot just turn it on. I was able to get the green fog icon to come on once I changed the switch, yes I was able to turn the fog option in the BCM via software BUT the circuit uses FET's to protect it THEY ARE NOT IN YOUR BCM THER FORE THE CIRCUIT will not send power to lights.

I paid for the ford service online wiring, printed and traced every harness and connector then went to ford no luck.

I ended up tapping into the parking light circuit and installed a relay triggered by the the parking ( pull from back of light ) lights 12vdc. I added a second relay to isolate the circuit and power the fogs from accessory fuse box. I added a small micro switch to the light switch but never wired it.

I got so fed up with that POS 2.1 and 10 speed trans bucking and jerking, lack of pickup, stalling when trying to change lanes on the highway, not to mention that auto stop start crap I dumped it with 8,000 miles. The 3.3 AWD Hybrid Limited actually has a nice rumbled when you mash the peddle to the floor

Log into Forscan search 2020 explorer fog lights I documented it there... spend a few days reading NO ONE HAS BEEN ABLE to do the fog light option.
I saw a you tube video the other day the person claimed he was able to add Fogs to a 2021 explorer, the video is 47 minutes long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.