Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, greetings from Guatemala. I just purchased a 2007 4.6L Sport Trac... beautiful vehicle. As with every used vehicle, you start noticing small things here and there once you start using it more often.

The vehicle is in real good shape and the engine is working almost perfectly. However, I've noticed that the transmission takes a while (and requires more effort) to shift from 1st to 2nd... all other gears are just okay... I've been reading about it, and want to do the ATF change, but from an on-line manual I just learned that not all the transmissions will use the same ATF type... some may use MERCON-V and other MERCON-SP...

My question at this point is: how do I know the type of ATF on my car? (no service manual, and no service record from previous owner).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all, greetings from Guatemala. I just purchased a 2007 4.6L Sport Trac... beautiful vehicle. As with every used vehicle, you start noticing small things here and there once you start using it more often.

The vehicle is in real good shape and the engine is working almost perfectly. However, I've noticed that the transmission takes a while (and requires more effort) to shift from 1st to 2nd... all other gears are just okay... I've been reading about it, and want to do the ATF change, but from an on-line manual I just learned that not all the transmissions will use the same ATF type... some may use MERCON-V and other MERCON-SP...

My question at this point is: how do I know the type of ATF on my car? (no service manual, and no service record from previous owner).

Many thanks.
Already found the answer to my question. Will put it into practice this weekend. Cheers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts