Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
A piece of cardboard between the intake and radiator. There is an air gap that allows crossflow from the radiator.

Remove intake shroud. It is restrictive and doesn't need to be there.

Drill holes in the lower filter box that line up with the front headlight hole. You can also put holes in the metal there for better airflow.

The airbox is right above the front wheelwell so you could open up a hole there for airflow and glue some fine stainless steel mesh to the bottom of the box.

There is also a piece of the upper right airflow diverter that can be removed, allowing some extra intake from the main grille.

·
Registered
31 Posts
K&N has a cold air intake kit designed expressly for the Explorer Sport (K&N 69-3531TS.) I bought mine through Advance Auto Parts on line and got a 20% discount ($220 delivered after tax and free shipping.) It took about an hour to install and fit and finish is excellent! Does it meet it's HP claims? I don't know but I can hear the difference when I put my foot into it, it is definitely gulping more air.

I know that there are those that poo poo the K&N products but I have never had an issue with them and I have gotten a mileage increase with past installs, and it looks good too! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been thinking about this mod too. How does it impact noise?
My goal is an throaty boost in sound while wide open, but relatively quiet during normal operation.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been thinking about this mod too. How does it impact noise?
My goal is an throaty boost in sound while wide open, but relatively quiet during normal operation.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Because the Explorer is so darn quiet to begin with, the extra sound from the new CAI is not very loud. You will notice it but others may not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All so cold Cold air intakes for Explorer lose power in every day driving because they take in hot air from under the hood. Even with heat shield, there is planty of gaps to suck in hot air. They only make power with open hood on a dyno.

There are multiple tests on SHO forum where people ran slower 1/4 with CAI vs OEM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
A piece of cardboard between the intake and radiator. There is an air gap that allows crossflow from the radiator.

Remove intake shroud. It is restrictive and doesn't need to be there.

Drill holes in the lower filter box that line up with the front headlight hole. You can also put holes in the metal there for better airflow.

The airbox is right above the front wheelwell so you could open up a hole there for airflow and glue some fine stainless steel mesh to the bottom of the box.

There is also a piece of the upper right airflow diverter that can be removed, allowing some extra intake from the main grille.
There is no airflow from radiator to OEM intake opening when moving forward.
Removing intake snorkle will cause charge air teparature to go up and decrease power.

If you drill a hole on the side of stock air box, you need to rout a hose from the hole down into fender - to make sure air is not being sucked from engine bay.

Intake restriction has minimal efect on Power in turbo cars. Air temparature has big efect...as it affects timing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All so cold Cold air intakes for Explorer lose power in every day driving because they take in hot air from under the hood. Even with heat shield, there is planty of gaps to suck in hot air. They only make power with open hood on a dyno.

There are multiple tests on SHO forum where people ran slower 1/4 with CAI vs OEM.

If you are following this still.... curious on what your recommendations are than for more air intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are following this still.... curious on what your recommendations are than for more air intake?

OEM is best solution. The only small restriction in OEM intake, is snorkle leading to radiator support - which needed in order to keep air colder, so car does not pull timing.

I have drilled 2" hole on the lower (driver )side of intake box and routed a flexible hose from the hole down into to a fender.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aftermarket intake filter (KN that drops into stock air box is less restrictive per square inck of media, but it has less surface area (pleats are not as deap). Performance filter might pick you up additional 2 whp, but less filtration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't think I would want to risk the less filtration. I like your 2" hose idea, may also help draw cooler air in as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts