Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any advice on proper placement of an aftermarket roof storage shell to keep it from oscillating at highway speeds?
Mine is one of those Sears models, not some nice streamlined euro model like Volvo has. Is there some magic combination of rail placement and shell attachment positioning on the rails plus weight distribution that will eliminate buffeting, or at least reduce it to tolerable levels?

· Super Moderator
158 Posts
Will it not strap down to immobility? The manual says the cross-rails should be fairly far back. That would seem to dictate the shell placement.

· Registered
57 Posts
First thing I'd try is loading heavier items on the bottom, and adding a (another?) ratcheting strap or a bungee cord or two. A piece of dense foam under it might help as well, though if not closed cell foam then rain can be an issue. Some exercise pads seem about right.

Do you have cross rails? Some Explorers with roof racks don't, so you could consider adding some if that's the case.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice all. Yes, I bought cross rails for mine. But I wasn't aware the manual suggests putting it far back as possible. So I'll try that approach. I'll report back on how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts