Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hoping for help. I have a 2012 explorer limited with the 3.5 that started with a slight rough idle that progressed to not wanting to exceed 20mph so I pulled the codes which were a rich condition and a misfire on number 5. Trying to go from easy to hard I pulled 4,5 and 6 coils and plugs where I found #5 coil covered in some real sticky oil type substance and smelled burnt so ok found problem I thought. Went ahead and pulled 1,2 and 3 but coils looked good so I pulled all 6 plugs and replaced with new motorcraft plugs same part number and replaced the coil for #5 cyl. Reinstalled everything else started it up and same codes popped up about misfire #5 cyl. Now I know I didn't run the vehicle for very long after reassembly but that is due to the CEL flashing after approx 1 minute or so and I don't want to cause more problems. Could the coil when it exploded caused my ecm to fry or would it more likely have fried the harness or some other sensor I have yet to think about? Thanks in advance for any and all help. The wife hates driving my truck so I'd like to get her toy back to her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After more diagnosis today I found both terminals to be grounded so I removed tape to access wires closer to ecm looking for bared or broken wires but all checks out good.

Has anyone replaced the engine harness (for coils, injectors and related sensors) or do you think I should get the ecm tested before jumping to harness?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts