Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I replaced the defrost actuator in my 2017 Explorer. Apparently this pays really well for the mechanics because the dealer quoted over $1000 for the project. It took me 3hours and $38 for the new actuator. I actually found the electrical contacts wore out insides the unit. The gears were certainly beefy. Come on Ford this thing is buried way inside the dash. You fixed the problem with the gears stripping but created a new problem with the lame electronics. Why would you design it so wimpy? Anyway when yours fails it is possible to change it with out removing the entire dash with the use of a drill and right angle head with extensions. The hard part was aligning the shaft with the damper. I used a long pry bar and turned the car on. During start up the actuator exercises and this allows alignment to the unit. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I replaced the defrost actuator in my 2017 Explorer. Apparently this pays really well for the mechanics because the dealer quoted over $1000 for the project. It took me 3hours and $38 for the new actuator. I actually found the electrical contacts wore out insides the unit. The gears were certainly beefy. Come on Ford this thing is buried way inside the dash. You fixed the problem with the gears stripping but created a new problem with the lame electronics. Why would you design it so wimpy? Anyway when yours fails it is possible to change it with out removing the entire dash with the use of a drill and right angle head with extensions. The hard part was aligning the shaft with the damper. I used a long pry bar and turned the car on. During start up the actuator exercises and this allows alignment to the unit. Good luck.
not so easy on a "Limited" that has the auto adjusting brake and gas pedals in it!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts