Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually post on forums or anything but figured I'd get the word out somehow. In 2016 I lost my 2 sons did to a tour separation causing rollover issues that the explorer is famous for.I like many engineers don't believe that it is the tire manufacturers fault it is the early explorers they are junk and will take you out your loved ones life. I find it ridiculous that Ford motor company knows of problem but play the numbers game gambling they make more money but keeping them on the streets. Well guess what lives are not just numbers FORD MOTOR COMPANY. Bet if it were some of their lives ones things would change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You have my condolences to the loss of your loved ones. However, I take Umbridge with your anecdotal surety as to the cause of the roll overs in recent years. The 2020 and 2021 model years have a 5 star safety rating from the NHTSA. I just think it's a little unfair to exploit your tragedy and say all newer explorers are inherently unsafe. But I do understand your concern and frustration. I'll leave it open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have my condolences to the loss of your loved ones. However, I take Umbridge with your anecdotal surety as to the cause of the roll overs in recent years. The 2020 and 2021 model years have a 5 star safety rating from the NHTSA. I just think it's a little unfair to exploit your tragedy and say all newer explorers are inherently unsafe. But I do understand your concern and frustration. I'll leave it open.
Im sorry you feel that way maybe if you were in my shoes you would feel like if Ford Motor Company shouldnt risk our lives on the existing ford explorers that are still on the road and they know they are unsafe. Instead of recalling these vehicles its cheaper to pay off those who die. So no matter how "safe" they are guess what they arent much of car dealer to me with practices like that. Or even by chance tellpeople who own them they are unsafe. Because I would like to tell you I purchased that vehicle for my son not knowing the facts. Try living with them facts. Believe me you wouldnt be bragging on the 2020 and 2021 models. Hurray for them

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm an investigator, I'm sorry but I deal with actual facts. It appears on face value that Ford has made some good upgrades to the Explorer. SUV's are all a little more top heavy than regular passenger cars. You have to drive them differently. If your saying that all car companies that sell SUV's have top heavy vehicles, I would agree with that. I have no specific love for Ford by any means, but your on a forum where literally everyone here has a ford explorer. Everyone here knows about the former Firestone tires and Explorer issue. Mitsubishi Trooper SUV's have been the worst as far as rollovers are concerned.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. When I was on patrol, I worked a lot of accidents, a lot of life lost in those accidents for various reasons and faults. The people here on this forum have accepted the risks of owning an SUV and specifically the Ford Explorer. There are an awful lot of Explorers used at Police vehicles in the past 5 years or so, and they have proven to be pretty safe. Yes I'm defending Explorers a little because I did a lot of research before I bought my 2021. There are no vehicles on the road today that are risk free from accidents. There are a lot of parts involved in building any vehicle and its expected that sooner or later parts will fail.

Please take care of yourself as I know your heart is in the right place. I hope you understand that my heart is also in the right place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an investigator, I'm sorry but I deal with actual facts. It appears on face value that Ford has made some good upgrades to the Explorer. SUV's are all a little more top heavy than regular passenger cars. You have to drive them differently. If your saying that all car companies that sell SUV's have top heavy vehicles, I would agree with that. I have no specific love for Ford by any means, but your on a forum where literally everyone here has a ford explorer. Everyone here knows about the former Firestone tires and Explorer issue. Mitsubishi Trooper SUV's have been the worst as far as rollovers are concerned.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. When I was on patrol, I worked a lot of accidents, a lot of life lost in those accidents for various reasons and faults. The people here on this forum have accepted the risks of owning an SUV and specifically the Ford Explorer. There are an awful lot of Explorers used at Police vehicles in the past 5 years or so, and they have proven to be pretty safe. Yes I'm defending Explorers a little because I did a lot of research before I bought my 2021. There are no vehicles on the road today that are risk free from accidents. There are a lot of parts involved in building any vehicle and its expected that sooner or later parts will fail.

Please take care of yourself as I know your heart is in the right place. I hope you understand that my heart is also in the right place.
Guess what it wasnt Firestone that was the problem it was Ford Motor Company. So investigate this Ford wanted to catch up in the SUV world so they hurried the Explorer and literally set the big topheavy rear end on a regular pickup frame therefore the weight not being supported correctly caused the rear end to put to much pressure on the tires causing what is known as tire separation the same separation issues they blamed Firestone for and the exact same thing they tried blaming the tire company for in my sons case. So I am sorry to let you know if you want facts believe me I have enough engineers of every kind that will glady give you some true facts. It isnt these tire companies at fault it is the producer of an unsafe vehicle because they rushed the process to stay on top. These are facts. BTW the tire company was released from any liability in my sons case. Maybe that should tell you something and I would love to give you the accident reconstruction report plainly stating TIRE SEPARATION

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well then I have advice for you. Risk your own life but dont put your children in one.I wasnt aware anyone knew all of the dangers for the prestige of driving an Explorer for God sakes because if people really knew the truth they would never purchase one and you are well aware of that fact my friend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry Mam, please send another link to the outcome of your case from the news..... Then you won't violate your attorney's request. What your saying is that the tires did blow out, but a jury found Ford at fault, is that what your saying?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sorry Mam, please send another link to the outcome of your case from the news..... Then you won't violate your attorney's request. What your saying is that the tires did blow out, but a jury found Ford at fault, is that what your saying?
I am a sir and ford decided to settle just before court. And yes the tires separated and blew out you could actually see at the accident site all the little balls of rubber caused by the rear of the explorer leaning over onto the drivers side putting pressure on the tire causing it to explode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am a sir and ford decided to settle just before court. And yes the tires separated and blew out you could actually see at the accident site all the little balls of rubber caused by the rear of the explorer leaning over onto the drivers side putting pressure on the tire causing it to explode.
There is no news from the case after the selltlement because that is what Ford motor Company does. Sweep it all under the rug. Stating how much you can say who you can say it to all the way down to what you can tell the irs about where the money came from. Somehow that is ridiculous

·
Registered
20 Posts
That does sound ridiculous. But its not unique. I work in a lot of litigation and maybe 70% of the cases end that way. But to my greater point: Read this excerpt from

While Ford is still plowing through litigation and cases involving pre-2002 Explorers, the number of rollover accidents since then have been few, says Kane. “Starting with the 2002 version, Ford lowered the vehicles, widened the track and introduced electronic-stability-control to the SUV, plus it added an independent rear suspension, all of which greatly eliminated the problems associated with the previous version,” Kane said.

You can read the whole article here: Behind Fords Recent $131 Million Rollover Judgment (autoblog.com)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Gen I Explorer (1992). The first thing I noticed was how top heavy it felt verses anything else I had owned previous. As I have a lot of experience in everything from motorcycles to 18 wheeler's (as well as years of racing) I realized I couldn't drive this thing like other vehicles I owned. Eventually I decided to try some smaller (shorter tires) to see the effect. The difference was night and day in the vehicles stability. It's still no sports car but it is much more reasuring and the inch of ground clearance and height I lost was well worth it.

As for tires, before TPMS, few regularly checked their tire pressures. One has to wonder......how many tire "failures" were a result of owner neglegence?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.