Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Depends on how far you are going and weight distribution. I towed a 1,200lb dry weight 5x8 cargo trailer with about 1,100 pounds in it from Olympia WA to Tyler TX.
Gas mileage was horrendous and with the small tank, in Nevada I was filling up every 100 miles. I put the heaviest items over the trailer axles and the car still rode high in the front. I had to redo the load 3 days in. I couldn't find a way to turn of the rear warning sensors so every time I backed up the car would scream at me.
That engine was a star and I had no power issues. I wouldn't do it again that distance. 2018 Platinum.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tow a travel trailer with my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport (Twin Turbo 3.5V6), fully loaded I'm just over 4,000lbs. I get about 12 mpg when going to from the Phoenix area to Flagstaff which is 5,000+ in elevation change in 2 hours so it's a decent climb. No power issues at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got our 2019 XLT (3.5 N/A, with factory tow pkg). We are setting up to tow a small TT. The trailer GWVR is 3200LB, and we were towing with a 2012 Escape. This was "barely OK", too close to the weight limit and a bit too much wind area. And, no weight-distribution with the Class II hitch, so once in a while the front wheels would slip in gravel. Still, we managed to do some 5,000 miles of towing/camping.
I have bought a WDH assembly "Husky Centerline" that is actually rated for a heavier trailer. The ball sits too high, so I'll be looking for a drawbar with a few inches drop (otherwise, the trailer would be nose-high, around 4-6 inches).
We have a brake controller, that I had wired into the previous tow vehicle. I think the explorer has a connector somewhere under the dash, since there is a 7-pin connector, back by the hitch receiver; just have to find it.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone that's experienced with set-up and towing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got our 2019 XLT (3.5 N/A, with factory tow pkg). We are setting up to tow a small TT. The trailer GWVR is 3200LB, and we were towing with a 2012 Escape. This was "barely OK", too close to the weight limit and a bit too much wind area. And, no weight-distribution with the Class II hitch, so once in a while the front wheels would slip in gravel. Still, we managed to do some 5,000 miles of towing/camping.
I have bought a WDH assembly "Husky Centerline" that is actually rated for a heavier trailer. The ball sits too high, so I'll be looking for a drawbar with a few inches drop (otherwise, the trailer would be nose-high, around 4-6 inches).
We have a brake controller, that I had wired into the previous tow vehicle. I think the explorer has a connector somewhere under the dash, since there is a 7-pin connector, back by the hitch receiver; just have to find it.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone that's experienced with set-up and towing!
Until recently, I have been towing a 16 ft. toy hauler (5000+ lbs. loaded) with our 2016 Explorer XLT with tow package. I used a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. The connector plugs in under the dash but it requires pulling the plastic and the metal to get to. I also used an Andersen anti sway weight distribution hitch. It towed pretty well but I felt like I was likely stressing out the drive train.

You should do quite well with your 3200 lb. trailer. That leaves a nice towing capacity margin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts