Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for info on this, basically the interior lights wont come on when you open the doors but if you push the map lights and back seat and third row seat overheads they illuminate. Pushing the dome light button near the headlamp switch doesn't do anything either...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like poor grounding
issue at the map lights themselves.
Check the ground on the chassis under the map lights.
When a larger load of lights
is turned on, the ground
finally makes enough contact
to make the light turn on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's not just the map lights, it's all the interior lamps won't go on when you open the doors like they should... The map lights and other dome lights work if you turn them on manually, by push clicking them, my issue is ALL the interior lights wont go on like they are supposed to upon entry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You've checked all the lighting fuses then.

Then it's all doors not just one, so door lock mechanism switches are ruled out too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you manually checked the contacts at the interior light bulbs themselves for corrosion ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep checked the fuses and Jeez are those hard to get to in my car... Upside down face up in drivers footwell lol... And yes it's all doors....im starting to think maybe it's either the LCM or maybe the switch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Been alot of control modules going bad or flaking out.
Ford planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As a preventative measure I put di-electric grease on all bulb and fuse contacts whenever I service a vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's why I said door lock mechanisms. The light switches are there now. So if it isn't at the interior bulbs contacts or their grounds, the door switches in the lock mechanisms and the override at the head light switch can't be bypassed then it must be the LCM itself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A pin out of the LCM would say which one controls interior lights. Applying battery + there or at the + of one of the interior light bulb contacts with say a Power Probe safety tester would show if it is indeed the LCM at fault.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would be afraid to say which pins to test at the override on the head light switch. Haven't had to go down that road yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts