Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
t has the ecoboost 3.5 and 4x4. I am think of buying a camper this vehicle can manage with trailer brakes of course. My question is about air bag assist for the rear suspension. Would this help hit the max 5000lb number more safely? I don't want to haul dangerously as I would be traveling cross country. Thanks for any advice on max weight, camper length etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Air bags are only there for tongue weight, how much tongue weight is the trailer going to be? I tow about 4000lbs with my 2017 Explorer Sport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air bags are only there for tongue weight, how much tongue weight is the trailer going to be? I tow about 4000lbs with my 2017 Explorer Sport.
I haven't even started really looking yet. I want to find out what I can tow safely before I start looking. I have to consider camper profile also as driving thru the plains you encounter some strong winds.

Do you go on long hauls or just short trips? Mountains? Any insight is helpful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you go cross country or just short trips? Mountains? Any wind issues towing with the camper profile that height?
I live in the Phoenix area and regularly go camping in the Flagstaff area. I live at about 1863ft and Flagstaff is at 6909ft, that height change is covered in about 2 hours so is quite the climb. Power wise the Explorer has no issues maintaining 65mph the entire way. It's got enough power to go faster if you really wanted to but then you are up in the RPM range because Tow/Haul mode limits you to 5th gear. I did have some issues with high winds pushing me around when going from Flagstaff to Kingman but I pulled off to the side of the road and dropped my adjustable hitch a notch. It allowed me to put more weight on the Explorer which helps mitigate some of the sway from the wind. Otherwise it tows great. I think you are going to experience some sway no matter the type of trailer you get because of the weight the Explorer can tow.

Here is the hitch that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWNLNPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have this brake controller: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-C...ive&sprefix=curt+blueto,automotive,189&sr=1-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tow a home built toy hauler that started life as a bare bones cargo trailer. It comes in at 5000 lbs. fully loaded with my side by side. Amazingly, it tows no problem with my 2016 NA 3.5 Explorer XLT with towing package. I do have an Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution hitch. The trailer and my Explorer are always level and the trailer doesn't sway.

IMG_20190502_082613-Edit.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts