Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting leans codes off and on for the past 9 months. I changed the O2 sensors about 8 months ago, the fuel filter and pump 9 months ago, and more recently the MAF sensor, PCV valve and hoses, the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor, and the EGR Valve. Everything except the MAF sensor and EGR valve I knew had to be replaced.

After clearing the codes each time, they come back on within a week, generally with high fuel trim ratios. Again today, just a couple days after replacing my EGR valve, the check engine light came on. But this time the fuel trim ratios seem fine (STFT 1 is -3.1, LTFT 1 is 5.5., STFT 2 is -1.6, and LTFT 2 is 7.0). I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS with a 4L, V6 engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been getting leans codes off and on for the past 9 months. I changed the O2 sensors about 8 months ago, the fuel filter and pump 9 months ago, and more recently the MAF sensor, PCV valve and hoses, the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor, and the EGR Valve. Everything except the MAF sensor and EGR valve I knew had to be replaced.

After clearing the codes each time, they come back on within a week, generally with high fuel trim ratios. Again today, just a couple days after replacing my EGR valve, the check engine light came on. But this time the fuel trim ratios seem fine (STFT 1 is -3.1, LTFT 1 is 5.5., STFT 2 is -1.6, and LTFT 2 is 7.0). I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS with a 4L, V6 engine.
Do you have a plastic intake? Maybe a crack in the intake.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
P0171,P0172 LEAN BANK 1or 2. The silicone gaskets at the base of the intake to head lose elasticity an sealing.
Google the codes and look at Youtube. It is a simple job but a pain in the A-- to get to.

·
Registered
00 XLT 4x4
1 Posts
hey Jman, let us know what develops. i've been dealing w same issue in my '00 XLT for months. haven't done much about it because yeah, was informed it could be so many various different things. ...i'm not getting used to that check engine light :-/

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey Jman, let us know what develops. i've been dealing w same issue in my '00 XLT for months. haven't done much about it because yeah, was informed it could be so many various different things. ...i'm not getting used to that check engine light :-/
I replaced the lower intake and gaskets 4 years ago. Runs fine now. Replace the PVC hose under the intake while you have access to the valley. Vids on Utube. David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.