Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Bryan Edinger, Live in Bellingham, Wa. and a newbie here...lol

Looking to see if anyone might have a copy of 98' Ford Explorer FSM (Factory Service manual) that they wouldn't mind sharing with someone who is really frustrated with his 98' Explorer.

Thank you

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's a fair distance in the future. That one hasn't been produced yet and may never be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congratulations. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are very proud.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Neither Haynes nor Chilton's even know where the motor is. I've wasted lots of $$ on those bird-cage liners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being that I've been building trucks for over 45 years I think they can be a handy guide that helps me keep from forgetting things, but no if your an inexperienced mechanic that needs a manual that will hold your hand every step of the way, I suppose you should line your birdcage with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the FSM for both my jeeps and they do have some valuable info that Hayne's and chilton's doesn't have. I'm guessing by the responses that Ford doesn't put out a service manual for their products like Mopar does... Thanks anyway

·
Registered
125 Posts
Being that I've been building trucks for over 45 years I think they can be a handy guide that helps me keep from forgetting things, but no if your an inexperienced mechanic that needs a manual that will hold your hand every step of the way, I suppose you should line your birdcage with it.
If they don't even know what the system is or where its components are, how does that become a "don't forget to do this" reference?

Every manual/instruction sheet should be written as though a ten-year-old is reading it and going to follow it. I write instruction "cheat sheets" for many IT-related tasks: "Click here, see this, type this ..." That way, staff who normally don't touch the task for months can still complete the task without engaging a more-expensive staff member's input. Even better, a part-timer who doesn't really work that section can finish the job.

As I said earlier, I've spent too much $$ on Chilton's and Haynes manuals, only to find that not only are they clueless, often they don't even mention the system I'm trying to fix.

My Mom's Mercury's air suspension began to malfunction. I bought the "manual" for it to see what I could learn.Their secton for the air suspension made reference to a module under the dash near the steering column. That module was nowhere to be found on the real car. Other instances escape memory, but that's when I was reminded those manuals are bird-cage material only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I am saying... is they're more handy than the owners manual that comes with most cars and trucks, but not as involved as a factory service manual, middle of the road for me, and occasionally handy. Use and apply what's appropriate for your needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I am saying... is they're more handy than the owners manual that comes with most cars and trucks, but not as involved as a factory service manual, middle of the road for me, and occasionally handy. Use and apply what's appropriate for your needs.
I agree, FSM does have some very good reference information and that's what I mainly use it for... As far as the PDF FSM on eBay is concerned, I found one for about $2.00, but didn't have an index to reference the different sections of the manual. Real pain in the ass but workable. My 2 Jeeps FSM's are great, Dodge took the time to put together a very good FSM...

Thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts