Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellow Explorers!

I want to buy my 3rd Explorer to replace my 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition and am leaning towards the late 2010's (2007-2010) models because that was before they went to the new body frame (and they're cheaper!) :p My 2000 has been a great truck but can anyone comment on the reliability of the 2010s? I'm a little concerned because Consumer Reports rated those years very low in customer satisfaction. Any comments would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
David

·
Registered
20 Posts
When was the CR rating on satisfaction? The thing about domestic SUVs is they do have at least their share of issues, but there is a huge customer base and parts availability. This makes domestics lower satisfaction for those who get fleeced by repair shops, but not as much for DIYers.

I would base the choice more on whether you find a cherry, something low miles, low rust, garage kept, maintenance records, and more frequent fluid changes than Ford recommended, especially for those they consider lifetime fluids. At a dozen plus years old this can matter more than make and model.

Personally I would focus on low rust the most, it's one thing to swap an engine or tranny (there are tons of them out there due to the Explorer popularity) but another if the entire foundation and everything on the undercarriage is rotting.

Have a mechanic familiar with Explorers, go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Explorers kept getting larger, IMO the old school 4.0L is too anemic, I'd only get a 2010 with the 4.6L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was the CR rating on satisfaction? The thing about domestic SUVs is they do have at least their share of issues, but there is a huge customer base and parts availability. This makes domestics lower satisfaction for those who get fleeced by repair shops, but not as much for DIYers.

I would base the choice more on whether you find a cherry, something low miles, low rust, garage kept, maintenance records, and more frequent fluid changes than Ford recommended, especially for those they consider lifetime fluids. At a dozen plus years old this can matter more than make and model.

Personally I would focus on low rust the most, it's one thing to swap an engine or tranny (there are tons of them out there due to the Explorer popularity) but another if the entire foundation and everything on the undercarriage is rotting.

Have a mechanic familiar with Explorers, go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Explorers kept getting larger, IMO the old school 4.0L is too anemic, I'd only get a 2010 with the 4.6L.
Thanks much J_C--great advice!

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts