Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Explorer Sport 63000 Miles
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here from SE PA, near Philly. Had a 2014 Explorer Sport for since about 2017. Pushing 63,000 miles. I upgraded from a 2005 GMC Sierra that was more than 10 years old. Nothing wrong with the truck, just time for an upgrade way back then. Been happy with the Explorer all this time, too. Haven't done anything to the motor, but upgraded the lighting to all LEDs. I put in some LED lights in to the stock fog light housing, but they just didn't do anything any good for making it better to see anything at night. I had gotten some other after market fog lights to actually put on my motorcycle for a little while before I landed on some other ones. These Luxeon fog lights from Diode Dynamics fit in the stock Explorer location perfectly, and are made to project the light in the right place for fogs.

The Luxeons are the best LED upgrade. I did get some Lasfit LED bulbs to replace the turn signals front and rear, and I did find some little LED marker bulbs. These are very bright turn signals and I really like them. I wish I could get the front turn signal lights to always be on at full intensity, they would be a great front visibility enhancer especially during the day time. Maybe someone knows a trick to make that happen.

I did put LEDs inside the cabin and got some mirror puddle light LEDs too. I guess I got about all the LEDs upgraded inside and out. I added a light bar also from Diode Dynamics that I mounted on to a piece of angle aluminum when I don't have the push bumper on it. Looking to add something else to the rear like a LED strip with turn signal and brake function. Maybe something to plug in to the 4 pin connector and mount to the inside of the rear hatch glass. Or find a way to get a modulator installed in to the brake lights like on my motorcycle to give the lights a little flash pattern on braking or something like that. Any ideas or recommendations welcome.

And I like Transformers, so if it were a Transformer it would have to be a Prime, and of since I'm from the PNW gotta represent the home team. I named it Shadow Hawk Prime as it's the tuxedo black whatever color. Interestingly enough had the hood repainted twice by the dealer still under warranty when I first got it for the corrosion causing the paint to chip. They forgot to glue on the Explorer letters to the front of the hood the last time. Didn't mind they didn't, as I didn't really like them there in the first place, so it worked out pretty good haha.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since you did not specify, there are many options. The light pattern description is at the top of each picture. It shows up written differently that it edits.
Low beams only.
Building Water Window Tints and shades Midnight

Parking lights only.
Building Automotive lighting Tints and shades Landscape Midnight

Fog lights only.
Building Road surface Asphalt Window Cloud

Hi and Low Beam. Hi Beams with these LEDs pretty worthless for distance. Looks good on this close wall tho...
Water Building Tints and shades Darkness Midnight

Light bar only.
Water Building Cloud Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Light bar with low beams.
Water Building Automotive lighting Lake Tints and shades

Light bar with low beam and fogs.
Water Automotive lighting Building Rectangle Tints and shades

Light bar with low and hi beam.
Automotive lighting Water Building Tints and shades Rectangle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The light bar is the brightest front facing light. I had a job I commuted at night dark on the freeway with little to no traffic so I used it a lot at night for distance visibility since more than half my commute the freeway was not lit until I got closer to the city. In addition, I will sometimes use it when it's raining and really nasty out, to illustrate a different light pattern than just a headlight(s) in the rearview or side mirrors in hopes that others will see me and not have any accidents. It's very useful, and I don't go offroad when I can avoid it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts