Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
So I recently had my water pump go out in my 2014 Ford Explorer limited. My mechanic completed the job replacing the water pump but when I took the car back home I started hearing a noise coming from the top of motor( The noise is coming from the passenger motor side)The sound begins on drive at around 1500 rpm’s and stops around 1900 rpm’s and driving while in reverse only. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I took the car back to the mechanic and he can’t find out what’s wrong with it. Thanks for your time.

· Registered
57 Posts
Sorry I don't know, especially including the variable of having the engine pulled. What does the noise sound like? Knocking, ticking, squealing, grinding, or something else???

I might not know by hearing, but if you can record that and post it somewhere, someone else might come along and recognize what it is.

Does it change in frequency with engine RPM or vehicle speed (wheel RPM)? Maybe he just forgot to fasten one of the motor mounts?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I don't know, especially including the variable of having the engine pulled. What does the noise sound like? Knocking, ticking, squealing, grinding, or something else???

I might not know by hearing, but if you can record that and post it somewhere, someone else might come along and recognize what it is.

Does it change in frequency with engine RPM or vehicle speed (wheel RPM)? Maybe he just forgot to fasten one of the motor mounts?
The sound is a grinding sound. It makes the sound at 1500 rpm while in drive and stops at around 1900 rpm. I have also noticed it makes the sound while going in reverse at slow speeds . Here is a video I recorded for reference.https://youtu.be/IocPDdReUis.

· Registered
57 Posts
Unfortunately I can't tell anything from the video, almost sounds like a tiny exhaust leak? You could take the belt off to see if the noise stops, suggesting something belt driven, but remember not to run it long like that, without the alternator charging the battery.

Assuming you paid this mechanic, I'd want him to keep looking till he finds the problem, or do something to make this right, like issue a partial refund so you can spend the refund on another shop to take a look.

Sometimes you can find the source of a noise better by putting a piece of hose to your ear, then placing it on various areas.

Which engine does it have? I was assuming the 3.5L so engine had to be pulled to do the water pump, leaving several possibilities, but if it was the 2.0L (or were they 2.3L by then?) ecoboost, much less work is done to replace the water pump. Once upon a time ago, on a different vehicle, I got a bad water pump, but it made a squealing noise and bogged the engine down instead of the noise I heard in the video.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I can't tell anything from the video, almost sounds like a tiny exhaust leak? You could take the belt off to see if the noise stops, suggesting something belt driven, but remember not to run it long like that, without the alternator charging the battery.

Assuming you paid this mechanic, I'd want him to keep looking till he finds the problem, or do something to make this right, like issue a partial refund so you can spend the refund on another shop to take a look.

Sometimes you can find the source of a noise better by putting a piece of hose to your ear, then placing it on various areas.

Which engine does it have? I was assuming the 3.5L so engine had to be pulled to do the water pump, leaving several possibilities, but if it was the 2.0L (or were they 2.3L by then?) ecoboost, much less work is done to replace the water pump. Once upon a time ago, on a different vehicle, I got a bad water pump, but it made a squealing noise and bogged the engine down instead of the noise I heard in the video.
Thanks for your response. I will be going back to the mechanic soon. It is definitely not an exhaust leak more like a grinding sound from inside motor some where. I never had any issues with the car other than the water pump being replaced and now having this noise. The car is a 3.5l v6. I will try the hose to my ear to see if I can pin point the issue better. Thanks for your time. Appreciate it.

· Registered
57 Posts
When the water pump failed, did it dump much coolant into the oil? That is a known problem with these 3.5L engines having the internal water pump, and if it ran too long with too much coolant in the oil, can trash the bearings and more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts