Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport 3.5L Twin Turbo Ecoboost Engine. I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic oil. The owners manual calls for 5W-20 but the oil filler cap says 5W-30 on it. I have been using the 5W-30 all along. Am I using the right oil viscosity? Thoughts?

· Super Moderator
158 Posts
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport 3.5L Twin Turbo Ecoboost Engine. I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic oil. The owners manual calls for 5W-20 but the oil filler cap says 5W-30 on it. I have been using the 5W-30 all along. Am I using the right oil viscosity? Thoughts?
Turbos generally want higher-viscosity oil. I've heard of exceptions. Make sure you're looking at the right section of the manual.

· Registered
21 Posts
Did you buy the vehicle new? If not, the previous owner may have put the wrong cap on. I think you should call or stop by your local ford dealer and ask them to look on their service computer to see what the proper oil should be..... just my initial thoughts.

· Registered
57 Posts
Original north american oil spec should have been 5W-20, BUT, the history behind that is that they only changed from 5W-30 to 5W-20, to raise fuel economy averages, well that and modern 5W-20 semi-synthetic is better quality than yesteryear's 5W-30 dino oil.

However, the same is still true today and more so. A high quality full synthetic 5W-30 will give you better engine protection than same quality syn. 5W-20, but slightly worse fuel economy. I'd take the protection over the minor fuel economy difference, though if I were north of the border, in Canada, then I'd go with a synthetic 0W-20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts