Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. So I was checking to see the K&N air filter I had installed on my 2011 Ford explorer limited edition 3.5 Liter engine to see if they are due for a cleaning. When I removed it, I noticed some oil on top of it, this would be the side between the air filter and the intake port. As I removed the baffle or the the intake hose, I see more oil residue inside. I started to clean it and checked all around if there was some oil or fluid leak that might have gotten in. So here's what I found out so far:
- possible bad PCV valve, (can anyone tell me where it is under the hood)
- I did not change the oil and filter soon enough. I did wait till it was around 5000 miles since last one and my "change oil reminder kept on blinking for a week before I changed it and the oil was really dark. I was told this would cause clogged channels if oil was really dirty, any advise on this one
- Lastly, which what i really don't want to find out is i could have bad piston rings and i should do a compression test, anyone know what the numbers (pressure) are for a 3.5 liter ford engine would be?

Anyhow, could really use any help anyone might throw at me. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a common problem with the early 5th generation explorers. Ford has a re-designed valve cover which has an upgraded oil separator built in. Replacing your valve cover with the new one will prevent oil from collecting in the air intake hose. I have the same issue with my 2011. I might try installing an oil catch can first to see if that solves the problem, a lot less work involved. The pcv valve is located on the firewall side valve cover underneath the intake manifold. There is a youtube video detailing the fix.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I followed this video and had no issue replacing the cover on my 2011. Very detailed and accurate. A couple weeks later I replaced the spark plugs and you have to remove the intake manifold cover. That's when it makes it easy to replace the pcv valve. There is a video for that job also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts