Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Limited Explorer, a few weeks back I had an orange wrench light come on, I turned the car off then restarted, the light went away but for a a mile it felt like I was driving a standard for the first time. I ended up going to the dealer and without the orange light, they were getting a fuel pump (not the one in the tank) and some transmission codes, they said that the transmission mission codes can mimic the fuel pump, they changed it and all was well for a week then I started getting the orange light again as well as the Explorer jerking for a few minutes. Does anyone know what is causing this? Did they screw me when they said it was the high pressure fuel pump? I’m already out $1000, I don’t know what to expect this time. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
57 Posts
Their diagnosis is questionable without details of their tests, data, and codes scanned, so hard to say if they screwed you.

If you can determine what the specific codes are, that is the place to start. It might also determine if it's safe to drive or maybe shouldn't be driven.

It is possible that low fuel pressure caused some misfires, running rough, jerky transmission so codes for it, except if that's all it was, obviously the problem wouldn't return if it was the pump, now replaced.

There are several inexpensive ELM327 based scan tool dongles out there, that link to your phone over bluetooth (android or windows phone or laptop, tablet, etc) or wifi (android, windows and needed for apple, phone, laptop, or tablet, etc), and then your host (phone, tablet, laptop, etc) can run Forscan app to get not only the ODB2 codes but also Ford manufacturer unique codes, and realtime data like fuel pressure.

You need to insist that you get money back (unlikely to just get a full refund) or at least much credit applied towards further work. Problem is, I don't know if I'd trust them at this point, whether they are just incompetent or deceptive, or both. I'd talk to the service manager, then owner if that gets you nowhere.

Did you get the old fuel pump back? Always insist on the old parts back, except maybe not worn out old tires or battery, and you're possibly not entitled to the old parts when it's a recall replacement (AFAIK). If nothing else, another shop might be able to tell if the pump is bad and if not, then you have some evidence that you shouldn't have had (and had to pay for) the prior repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts