Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting under 12mpg city, under 18mpg hwy. The sticker read 28hwy, 16city, combined 18 mpg. combined. I'm getting under 12mpg combined. I bought this used 3 mos ago, ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I get 12-15 towing a 4,000lbs RV trailer with my 3.5 EB Sport. Something is up for sure. We normally get 20+ driving on the highway. Are you looking at the MPG on the computer or physically calculating it yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I look at dash board calculations AND verify that every time I get gas. I told the dealership after 1 week about this, now I'm going to have them re-check everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mileage? Tire pressure good and all match? have you had them check the hub/bearings by lifting the truck and spinning each wheel? If you are close or over 100,000 miles, the spark plugs should be changed if haven't already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bought it from Ford Dealership 3 mos ago. The usual "115 point check-up". Only 20k miles, with 4 brand new tires which raises a flag (yes, tires match. Uniroyal Tiger Paw). They tell me it was a lease but no mention of other mechanical problems. Check showed no crashes.
Your type of questions are the type help I'm looking for. After 2 weeks I notified them of the gas situation, but I told them I wanted to get some long highway miles, see how that went.
They won't be surprised when I take it back next week and tell them to find the problem...
This mileage is unacceptable!
Thanks for the help!
Mileage? Tire pressure good and all match? have you had them check the hub/bearings by lifting the truck and spinning each wheel? If you are close or over 100,000 miles, the spark plugs should be changed if haven't already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
New up to about 15k I got poor mileage about 16 mpg average. I have always done 5k oil changes, first one at 2.5k with Dexos spec oil (it made a great difference in my Acadia).
I pulled a a trailer about 2.2k lbs 2,500 miles to Texas when I moved and that thing got about 12mpg. I drove it kinda hard at speed limits up to 70 mph. I run my tires at 39psi. Now I average 18. Still not great but I didn't buy it for economy, I bought it for function and reliability and it has delivered both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Dealership today took it for a test drive while attached to a computer. Said it got combined 21mpg. Told me not to go by "trip gauge" in car because it uses an algorithm that also factors in idle time, extreme acceleration, etc. They said just do the old ÷ gallons into miles on main car odometer....Yeah, right. Like I didn't double check that. Told them after next tank, better #'s or its coming back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks. Dealership today took it for a test drive while attached to a computer. Said it got combined 21mpg. Told me not to go by "trip gauge" in car because it uses an algorithm that also factors in idle time, extreme acceleration, etc. They said just do the old ÷ gallons into miles on main car odometer....Yeah, right. Like I didn't double check that. Told them after next tank, better #'s or its coming back.
Try driving it hard with a tank of 92 octane E0. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Be careful to not get any tickets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drive mostly city, some highway. I average 18 in city around, highway best is 25, 22-23 combined according to the onboard information.

I change my oil when it’s due and use synthetic. The OEM tires sucked bad…only lasted 19K miles. Replaced with Continental DWS. Huge difference and quieter ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts