Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, new here and have come seeking advice and maybe answers.

I bought a 2013 in August with 87,000 as a company vehicle. I now have 102,000 on it. About 3 months ago while accelerating onto the freeway at 40 to 50+ MPH the car starts shaking. Once I hit 55/60+ it goes away and drives fine. If I slow down and accelerate it comes back again rinse repeat. Sometimes it's a good shake sometimes a mild one. When it's shaking and I let off the gas it goes away, hit the gas and it comes back. The steering wheel does not shake at all, just the car, I feel it's in the front, others that have driven it feel likes it's in their butt or back end of the car.
I took it to Les Schwab as I needed tires anyway. They found a bent tye rod front right side, I had them replace it, and it still shakes. They suggested I take it a driveline place which I did, they could not find anything wrong with it. Nothing leaking, everything looks straight and good, everything they know in their world said it looks fine except it shakes when driven.

Now I take it to a local outfit, good guys they do all our company vehicle maintenance. They have had it for 2+ weeks going on 3 now, and still have no idea what s wrong with it. They replaced both rear axil's still shakes. They found on line or someplace about a known Ford problem with the right front axil?? So they replaced that, car still shakes.
They replaced the driveline as well car still shakes. On a whim they swapped tires and rims with another Ford they had in the shop, car still shakes. They took it to a transmission guy, he drove it and feels it is not a transmission issue. They now think maybe a lower motor mount might be the issue, though they can't see it and of course it is more money thrown at a "maybe" the cause. IDK what the heck to do at this point, and I don't even want to know what my bill is going to be either. That is what it is I guess.

But anyone here have any other direction to look at this point. I cannot keep throwing money at it with no results!
At this point maybe I need to live with it, the only thing I don't know is what is this going to do to the car long term? I own the company and can drive up to 1000 miles in a couple of weeks if not less, so I don't need it to fall apart on me someplace.

Anyhoo sorry for the long post, any info, any thoughts, anything you guys & gals ;) can come up with would be helpful. I am meeting with them tomorrow to discuss this and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the time and thought's.. Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time finding the solution to your problem. I'm just a fellow Explorer owner(2014 limited) and not mechanically inclined but curious what the problem turned out to be. Any updates? Thinking of you, hoping you found the problem and that is fixable

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for thought and sorry for the delay. 1700 bucks later and nothing they have done has changed anything.

No idea where to go at this point, was expecting a bit more advice here from some experts, guess it's just not the case here?

But thanks again for the reply and take care!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you spent a lot of money and didn't find that it got fixed. I'm also surprised that people more knowledgeable than I am didn't respond to you either. Have you seen the new Explorer? I don't think it's as nice looking as ours are. I'm determined to keep mine a long time because I'm not into what's coming from Ford if the 2021 isn't attractive(in my opinion it looks like a bigger 2013"Edge" and looks cheap, from the rear anyway) Have a good weekend and stay well. Good luck in finding an answer to your problem with your vehicle

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts