Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. There is a option to get HID's for this year. What I want to know is are the projector headlights for the halogen bulbs the same as for the HID bulbs? If there is a difference, what is it?

Thanks in advance.
ea

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. There is a option to get HID's for this year. What I want to know is are the projector headlights for the halogen bulbs the same as for the HID bulbs? If there is a difference, what is it?

Thanks in advance.
ea
Halogen and HID systems are completely different. If you put HID in a halogen headlight, you will be that guy that blinds everyone coming your way. The light will be better, but not cutoff light an HID should be. There are ballasts that will need to be added as well. I’d check into an upgraded HID replacements if you want added light. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Halogen and HID systems are completely different. If you put HID in a halogen headlight, you will be that guy that blinds everyone coming your way. The light will be better, but not cutoff light an HID should be. There are ballasts that will need to be added as well. I’d check into an upgraded HID replacements if you want added light. Good luck!
Yes I know the difference, I should have elaborated more. I already have hid's installed. I guess the real question I have is what is the difference between the halogen and hid headlight assemblies? When I look at the bulbs the light production area seems to be equal. The electrodes for the arc on the hid's is basically where the filament is for the halogen. I know the hid puts out way more light but it would seem to me the pattern would be very close.

Thanks
ea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, guess I’m not understanding the question. HID is “aimed” whereas the halogens rely completely on reflected light and “throw” light. Good luck with your search…..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts