Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 explorer with the captains chairs in the back. I’ve been having the rear airbag light come on quite frequently. I’ve been folding the back chairs down them putting them back and eventually after a few of those the light seems to go off. Does anyone have a good list of things that cause that light to come on? Where are the sensors that affect that light.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent connection in the wiring connector.
Disconnect the battery negative and try di-electric grease in the air bag wiring harness connectors for those rear captains chairs.
It will be a yellow harness, should be under the seat/carpeting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 explorer with the captains chairs in the back. I’ve been having the rear airbag light come on quite frequently. I’ve been folding the back chairs down them putting them back and eventually after a few of those the light seems to go off. Does anyone have a good list of things that cause that light to come on? Where are the sensors that affect that light.
Don't have the solution for this but thought I would tell you that I am having the same issue with my 2015 but my back seat is bench folddown. I'm thinking is some connection problem also, withing the wire flexing when seats are put up/down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I find it hard to believe even if Ford engineers used ribbon cable for the air bag sensor wiring that a few years of folding and flexing are causing an intermittently connective issue in the middle of the cable, more likely at the end connectors.

With outsourced parts from foreign countries using inferior grade materials (Takata) anything is possible.

Getting Ford to issue a recall is another thing, best option, the owner will have to pay for repair and MAY get reimbursed down the road.
Like the composite intakes on the 4.6L engines. My mother in law received $730 back on hers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, guys. After a couple weeks dreading the fact that I’d have to take the car in to have them look at it, I got some time to flip up the back seats and check the connectors. I disconnected and reconnected the harness with no luck. I then noticed one of the harnesses was not pushed into its strain relief mounts. I pushed the two push pin type plastic pins into their mounting holes so it’s properly mounted. This has fixed my light problem. I have only just done it, so I’ll let you know if the light comes back. I could not tell if the push pin has a switch or not to let the computer know it’s pushed,. but you might check to make sure your harnesses are pushed into their strain relief mounts if you’re having this problem. See attached picture below.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts