Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2014 base. It has. A loud creaking coming from the rear end. Service department says it’s a bushing but can’t replace just the bushing, have to replace the complete assembly. Is this true? They have tried lubricant and Ir doesn’t help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nokidzz

I just posted a recall 19S17 on this forum. Don't know if your problem may be due to this or not, but the Service Dept. certainly should have said "SOMETHING"

FYI

B

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just bought a 2014 base. It has. A loud creaking coming from the rear end. Service department says it’s a bushing but can’t replace just the bushing, have to replace the complete assembly. Is this true? They have tried lubricant and Ir doesn’t help.
I'm not a mechanic, but check to see if there's a recall for your rear suspension toe-links. I just got one this week for my 2014 Explorer Limited, and so did another Explorer owner. Check it out to see if your vehicle is covered in this recall and if this may solve your problem (recalls are free and cover original owners and subsequent owners- they may just not have your name and address to get in touch with you) call your Ford dealer even if you didn't buy your vehicle there and give them your VIN# and they can look it up for you

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took my 2014 AWD to the dealer yesterday for the 2nd version of the toe-link recall that I just got last week. About 2 years ago or whenever version 1 came out, they replaced both rear toe links. This time I informed them of thumping/skipping of the rear end as I exited curb cut businesses. And, with having OEM shock replacements on for about 2 years, the rear is stiff.
For the version 2 of the recall, they inspect the ball joints of the toe-links first. They found that mine were fine. I lucked out, as the service writer said that if they were bad they would replace the entire knuckle.
She said that indeed another bushing was bad on the knuckle, which I had already diagnosed on my own. It is the forward upper bushing. My extensive research only came up with a Dorman Bushing replacement kit that comes with all of the bushings, for only one side.
I instead found a decent used one on Ebay, close to home, and lucky me it came with the hub assembly installed! And the donor vehicle had well under 100k miles on it. I have had it for about a month, just havent put it in yet.

So, to answer your question: Yes, you can't find "ALL" of the bushings individually to replace. Another win on Ford's part. Oh, btw, the service writer said that new OEM knuckles are on backorder. go figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts