Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but thought I'd try this one first. Got a recall on my 2016 XLT. It is to replace the rear suspension toe links(s.) Just wondering if anyone has had this done, and, if so, does the vehicle need to have an alignment. I'm getting ready to schedule the job to be done and want to make sure.

TX

B

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got that recall notice for my 2014 Explorer Limited. I had a similar recall notice for the rear suspension toe links about 1- 1/2 years ago and the Ford dealer did provide an alignment after that one. Last week, I just had new snow tires put on and also had a 4 wheel alignment just done by my regular mechanic, who I trust. I will wait till after the winter is over to do this second recall. By that time, I will be ready for an alignment again after the pitfalls of winter driving are over. Call your dealer to see if a free alignment is provided after the recall work, and if it is a complete 4 wheel alignment (if applicable to your Explorer) I just have more trust for my mechanic than for my dealer (that has changed ownership twice since I bought my Explorer) and I'd rather the dealer doesn't mess up the alignment I just paid for.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redbert....TX for that. I actually pulled up the recall on NHSTA and it says the dealer "should" do an alignment (if necessary). You know how dealers are....how could it possibly NOT be necessary. I've worked on cars all my life, and anything you do with these parts on a suspension (either front or rear) necessitates an alignment. Then again, they might SAY they did it. How is one to know? Again, TX

B

·
Registered
36 Posts
Redbert....TX for that. I actually pulled up the recall on NHSTA and it says the dealer "should" do an alignment (if necessary). You know how dealers are....how could it possibly NOT be necessary. I've worked on cars all my life, and anything you do with these parts on a suspension (either front or rear) necessitates an alignment. Then again, they might SAY they did it. How is one to know? Again, TX

B
Very true! Thanks, Bear That's exactly why I'll wait till after the winter to do my recall.... And I'll probably have my mechanic do an alignment in the spring after that anyway, even if the dealer says he did an alignment (lol) Better safe than sorry! I love my Explorer and I'll probably keep it till the wheels fall off

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Explorer Police interceptor

I just got that recall notice for my 2014 Explorer Limited. I had a similar recall notice for the rear suspension toe links about 1- 1/2 years ago and the Ford dealer did provide an alignment after that one. Last week, I just had new snow tires put on and also had a 4 wheel alignment just done by my regular mechanic, who I trust. I will wait till after the winter is over to do this second recall. By that time, I will be ready for an alignment again after the pitfalls of winter driving are over. Call your dealer to see if a free alignment is provided after the recall work, and if it is a complete 4 wheel alignment (if applicable to your Explorer) I just have more trust for my mechanic than for my dealer (that has changed ownership twice since I bought my Explorer) and I'd rather the dealer doesn't mess up the alignment I just paid for.

I have a 2014 Explorer Police interceptor that I just purchased at auction. Please tell me about this recall you mentioned. I haven't received a notice and I would also like to know more about the previous recall that you mentioned so I can verify it was addressed by the TN state police who previously had the vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hammell....I'm not aware of the earlier recall. Hopefully redbert may be of some assistance. Good luck.

B

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2014 Explorer Police interceptor that I just purchased at auction. Please tell me about this recall you mentioned. I haven't received a notice and I would also like to know more about the previous recall that you mentioned so I can verify it was addressed by the TN state police who previously had the vehicle
It was the rear suspension toe link replacement back then like this most recent recall. My Ford dealer also did a free alignment after the toe link was replaced as part of the first recall. I think I did it about 2 years ago, though the recall notice came out quite a few months or a year before I actually did it. I kept on procrastinating. I would imagine any Ford dealer could look up the status of whether the first recall was done by the TN police based on doing a search on your VIN#. I'm wondering why Ford needed to do a second recall now, on what seems to be the same part. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know much more about it. I plan to take my 2014 Explorer Limited to the local Ford dealer in the spring, after the winter here in New England is over, to have the current recall done. I just had a complete 4 wheel alignment done after having brand new snow tires put on and I think my trusted mechanic's alignment may be more accurate than the quick one they do at the dealer, so I'm waiting a bit. (Our local Ford dealer changed ownership and the service dept doesn't have a great reputation) Let me know if you happen to find out why Ford needed a second recall so soon on this rear suspension toe- link. Thanks, and have fun in your 2014 Police Interceptor. My mechanic does all the maintenance work on our town's police vehicles that are the same model (different model year by now) as yours and he says the police all loved the 2014 model year. That's why I bought mine in 2014(Limited) and I still love it! Happy New Year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts