Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to replace the cabin air filter, however the glove box is very difficult to unhinge. Does anybody know the trick? Don't want to break/snap anything. Lots of plastic involved. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look it up on youtube. You have to pull the white plastic hinge pins and remove the door. 5 minute job.
Then replace the filter and spend the next 1/2 hour to the rest of the day trying to put the pins back in. Lots of swearing involved so keep the kids in the house.
Someone said they did it without pulling the pins but there is a chance of breaking the hinge that way.
I ended up using a pair of long nose pliers to hold the pin by the tab and that worked for me.

Or take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would like to replace the cabin air filter, however the glove box is very difficult to unhinge. Does anybody know the trick? Don't want to break/snap anything. Lots of plastic involved. Thanks.
I put a mirror on the floor to see the location of hinge pins and used a large flat bladed screw driver to retract the hinge pins. It took a few minutes to get the movement oriented in the reflection but was the only way I could see how to engage the hinge pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Ex Sport. Someone had attempted to change the filter prior to me and broke the hinge on the right. So, I did find out that if you leave both pins pushed out of the way, the bottom of the box will sit square and will not fall down as long as you don't hit it or hit lots of bumps. BUT it is only now connected by the little elastic on the right and the two plastic clips on the top of the glove box. Anyway, I drove it from Florida to Virginia with lots of stop and go and quite a few bumps with no issues. I had many items in the compartment too. I'll fix it someday. 😕

1 - 4 of 4 Posts