Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Eddie Bauer Explore makes a low whining/grinding noise after I get up to about 20 mph. It sounds like it is coming from the front suspension. The noise at first reminded me of a whine a transmission might make in the early stages of failure. I have noticed if I am going straight down the road or into a right turn/curve the noise continues but if I am going into a left turn/curve the noise stops until I am going straight again. My gut tells me the issue is in the driver side wheel (maybe the bearing). Turning left in a curve shifts weight of the vehicle to the driver side front wheel and the noise stops. It is taking more of the load. Straight and right turn I get the noise. I had a similar issue a few years ago with a 2004 Limited. I changed both front wheel bearings and it did not solve the issue. I have had the Explorer for over a year and it has been doing this since I owned it. It has not got any worse and the steering feels tight and responsive. There is no vibration or any indication anything is loose. I recently drove 560 miles round trip pulling a car trailer with a vehicle loaded on the trailer. No performance issues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sure sounds like a wheel bearing. My Ram did that.Turn one way, silence. Turn the other way, moaning and groaning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts