Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time for some new tires and I wanted to know what option is everyone having the best experience with? I've seen some bad reviews of the factory Hancooks so wondering what other options are popular.

Also wanted know if it's possible to install wider tires on the factory wheels?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
So it's time for some new tires and I wanted to know what option is everyone having the best experience with? I've seen some bad reviews of the factory Hancooks so wondering what other options are popular.

Also wanted know if it's possible to install wider tires on the factory wheels?

Thanks!

I got Nitto Terra Grapplers from discount tire. They're a more aggressive looking terrain tire that still has a 60k mile warranty. I'm at 40k on mine and still happy. Discount tire stores will match their own discounttiredirect.com prices and ship the wheels to their store and install them. So that saved me $40. I've seen other Explorers, and trucks with these so they're fairly popular in Colorado at least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Those are more offroad agressive looking than I prefer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hankooks are good tires, however, I drove from New York to Florida in November and will say there is some considerable road noise. Now keep in mind I have wider rims (20x10.5 all around and 295/45/20s), so more contact patch on the road. Perhaps with the stock rims the road noise would not be noticeable. Also, the road noise was when I was cruising at 80 or higher miles per hour. I kept the Adaptive Cruise Control for the most part at 85, however, there was traffic so 80 was my usual speed. I do not recall any noticeable road noise with lower speeds.

Hopefully this information can help you somewhat. I would venture to say that with the stock rims, there would not be much if at all road noise. I would say 265s all around would be a nice tire to install on the stock rims.

BTW...Happy New Year..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts