Ford Explorer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2016 Explorer FWD XLT Sport Utility.

My partner, on an impulse, bought a 2009 Palomino pop-up Tent trailer. It is about 2,600 lbs with electric brakes.

Now I have to hope I can install the requirements to tow it.

I have been trying to research the pre-req's but I'm finding it quite overwhelming.

What I have gleaned so far is that I need to know if the vehicle is rated to tow that weight, and if it has a trailer towing package, or needs one.

I need to know the GCWR so I tried checking on the drivers door column. I found something called a GVWR that lists 2776 KG ( 6120 lb). Are these the same?

And how do I tell if a towing package is installed?

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks ...g

·
Registered
149 Posts
The N/A V6 and the TT V6 are rated to tow 5,000lbs. I have a 2017 Sport and tow a travel trailer loaded between 4,000lbs - 4,200lbs with no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The N/A V6 and the TT V6 are rated to tow 5,000lbs. I have a 2017 Sport and tow a travel trailer loaded between 4,000lbs - 4,200lbs with no issues.
You will have to excuse my inexperience but I don't know what N/A and TT stand for. ...g

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's the Sport it should be the Twin Turbo. It's ecoboost correct?
I think it is. I seem to remember seeing an ecoboost label on it somewhere but its in the shop right now getting the trailer hitch installed. ...g

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think it is. I seem to remember seeing an ecoboost label on it somewhere but its in the shop right now getting the trailer hitch installed. ...g
The Sport models are rated to tow 5,000lbs so you'll be just fine. I travel my house to the mountains which is about 5,000ft elevation change in just about 2 hours and it has no problems doing that with a little over 4,000lbs behind it. I get about 12-13mpg while doing that because it's all up hill. That's also maintaining 65-70mph, you don't want to go much over that because of tow haul mode limits you to 5th gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Sport models are rated to tow 5,000lbs so you'll be just fine. I travel my house to the mountains which is about 5,000ft elevation change in just about 2 hours and it has no problems doing that with a little over 4,000lbs behind it. I get about 12-13mpg while doing that because it's all up hill. That's also maintaining 65-70mph, you don't want to go much over that because of tow haul mode limits you to 5th gear.
Thanks for the help. Got the license plate and the hitch and brake module installed. Now I just need to book a campsite. ...g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts