Ford Explorer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '16 FWD non factory tow Explorer only has one connector on the passenger rear, is this right? Kits that I've seen have two plugs to complete the wiring. Looking for 4 pin . Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Non factory, so somebody installed the wiring and tow stuff after? It could be anything. I had one installed on my pilot years ago and the place left the wiring inside the spare headrest compartment. "this car wasn't ment to tow" was his excuse for not doing a proper job. Lol. You can get adapters to change it to what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '16 FWD non factory tow Explorer only has one connector on the passenger rear, is this right? Kits that I've seen have two plugs to complete the wiring. Looking for 4 pin . Thoughts? Thanks.
Mine is the same way did you find a solution? Please let me know im about to pull my hair out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your Explorer might have the rectangular plug located to the right of the muffler on the passenger side of the vehicle muffler. If it does, you could use the #118540 harness from Tow Ready. The harness is a plug and play install, pretty easy.

If you do NOT have the connector, you'll need to hardwire the trailer connector in place using the #119147KIT wiring harness from Tow Ready.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My only suggestion would be get a test light, turn on the hazards, and see if you get any output. If so, work way around see if you can find the running lights, etc. That’s not the most familiar-looking plug, but might just work. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts