Ford Explorer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are you still having problems with your Explorer or was the issue solved with the replacement of the fuel pressure sensor?
I'm still having problems with our 2017 Platinum.
Thank you for posting your journey!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like one or both diverter valve(s) are sticking. DV's open on deceleration so as not to over boost the turbo(s) if they're sticking or sticky it would produce a surge under certain conditions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Continued Surge

Are you still having problems with your Explorer or was the issue solved with the replacement of the fuel pressure sensor?
I'm still having problems with our 2017 Platinum.
Thank you for posting your journey!
The fuel pressure sensor was replaced in 9 of 2020. It has had ABSOLUTELY no effect on the surge issue. I have been told, not thru "official" Ford channels, that the root cause of this syndrome is "Heat Soak" of the transmission torque converter. This seems to fit my group of symptoms: Occurs only after being run to temp, unit must sit off, parked, 10 to 30 minutes, then surges on LIGHT acceleration (gently pulling out of a parking space), after which, surge disappears until parked with engine off again.
I intend to continue the battle until a resolve is reached. There are far too many of us with this problem for Ford to claim that they have no idea what what the issue is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2015 xlt 3.5. Sounds a little similar to what I’ve experienced. After running a while then parking and it sitting there. I noticed a “miss” feeling and engine would almost die. I noticed it would do it when the ac compressor would kick on. Turned off via ac button and it doesn’t do it. This week I started having another issue where the vehicle seems like a miss but scanner shows no misfires on any of the cylinders. It is a surging feel when slightly accelerating. We bought it used in December and it has just under 97k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a 2015 xlt 3.5. Sounds a little similar to what I’ve experienced. After running a while then parking and it sitting there. I noticed a “miss” feeling and engine would almost die. I noticed it would do it when the ac compressor would kick on. Turned off via ac button and it doesn’t do it. This week I started having another issue where the vehicle seems like a miss but scanner shows no misfires on any of the cylinders. It is a surging feel when slightly accelerating. We bought it used in December and it has just under 97k miles.
I have a explorer sport 2017 and I have the same problem. My warranty will finish within 5 km. So if you have any success let me know please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
W
I have a explorer sport 2017 and I have the same problem. My warranty will finish within 5 km. So if you have any success let me know please.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. What Dealership are you using? What have they done and what have told you so far?
Thanks!
Alan L
Dallas GA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: On 1/11/2020 I was informed by the dealer that Fords analysis of the data indicated that the "fuel pressure sensor" should be replaced. It and other unrelated parts have been placed on order, and will be installed during a future service visit, date to be determined by complete arrival of parts.
Did that take care of the problem? Mine is still doing it! I've contacted Ford about a possible buyback. Please let me know your vehicle status when you have a chance!
Thanks.
Alan L

·
Registered
2 Posts
W

Hey! Thanks for the reply. What Dealership are you using? What have they done and what have told you so far?
Thanks!
Alan L
Dallas GA
It is a dealership located in Laval, Quebec. They changed the spark plug but nothing changed. My mileages is 155k. That why i’m looking myself for clues.

thanks
Richard
Montreal PQ

21 - 29 of 29 Posts