Ford Explorer Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are you still having problems with your Explorer or was the issue solved with the replacement of the fuel pressure sensor?
I'm still having problems with our 2017 Platinum.
Thank you for posting your journey!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like one or both diverter valve(s) are sticking. DV's open on deceleration so as not to over boost the turbo(s) if they're sticking or sticky it would produce a surge under certain conditions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Continued Surge

Are you still having problems with your Explorer or was the issue solved with the replacement of the fuel pressure sensor?
I'm still having problems with our 2017 Platinum.
Thank you for posting your journey!
The fuel pressure sensor was replaced in 9 of 2020. It has had ABSOLUTELY no effect on the surge issue. I have been told, not thru "official" Ford channels, that the root cause of this syndrome is "Heat Soak" of the transmission torque converter. This seems to fit my group of symptoms: Occurs only after being run to temp, unit must sit off, parked, 10 to 30 minutes, then surges on LIGHT acceleration (gently pulling out of a parking space), after which, surge disappears until parked with engine off again.
I intend to continue the battle until a resolve is reached. There are far too many of us with this problem for Ford to claim that they have no idea what what the issue is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2015 xlt 3.5. Sounds a little similar to what I’ve experienced. After running a while then parking and it sitting there. I noticed a “miss” feeling and engine would almost die. I noticed it would do it when the ac compressor would kick on. Turned off via ac button and it doesn’t do it. This week I started having another issue where the vehicle seems like a miss but scanner shows no misfires on any of the cylinders. It is a surging feel when slightly accelerating. We bought it used in December and it has just under 97k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a 2015 xlt 3.5. Sounds a little similar to what I’ve experienced. After running a while then parking and it sitting there. I noticed a “miss” feeling and engine would almost die. I noticed it would do it when the ac compressor would kick on. Turned off via ac button and it doesn’t do it. This week I started having another issue where the vehicle seems like a miss but scanner shows no misfires on any of the cylinders. It is a surging feel when slightly accelerating. We bought it used in December and it has just under 97k miles.
I have a explorer sport 2017 and I have the same problem. My warranty will finish within 5 km. So if you have any success let me know please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
W
I have a explorer sport 2017 and I have the same problem. My warranty will finish within 5 km. So if you have any success let me know please.
Hey! Thanks for the reply. What Dealership are you using? What have they done and what have told you so far?
Thanks!
Alan L
Dallas GA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update: On 1/11/2020 I was informed by the dealer that Fords analysis of the data indicated that the "fuel pressure sensor" should be replaced. It and other unrelated parts have been placed on order, and will be installed during a future service visit, date to be determined by complete arrival of parts.
Did that take care of the problem? Mine is still doing it! I've contacted Ford about a possible buyback. Please let me know your vehicle status when you have a chance!
Thanks.
Alan L

·
Registered
2 Posts
W

Hey! Thanks for the reply. What Dealership are you using? What have they done and what have told you so far?
Thanks!
Alan L
Dallas GA
It is a dealership located in Laval, Quebec. They changed the spark plug but nothing changed. My mileages is 155k. That why i’m looking myself for clues.

thanks
Richard
Montreal PQ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 2014 Sport back in February 2020 and have had this same issue from day 1, but seems more at random when it happens. The only way I can trigger it 100% is when I go to my office which has a large incline to get there, doesn't matter if it sits for 10 mins or 8 hours. As it was random, I just shrugged it off, buuuut as of recent it has been happen more often.

So replaced plugs, air filter, oil, and check all fluid. Looked at all my lines, didn't see anything off looking. Still happened and no codes. Leaned towards possible boost issue, so disconnect and plugged the returns for my blow off Valves so they release to air and can hear them stuttering at random and sometimes not releasing boost. Not sure if its related, but will be looking at it more this weekend, try to get data, and update here if anything comes up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a ‘13 with approx. 130,000 miles and am experiencing the exact same issue. When slowly accelerating between 25 and 40mph there’s a surge and pause. I initially thought transmission, then plugs and coils. I’ve also read it could be the throttle body or the timing chain.

I’m hesitant to take it to the dealer as they charge $150 just to diagnose and it doesn’t appear that anyone has actually had the correct diagnosis yet. I’d be interested to hear what has happened both long and short them to those that have posted in this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This weekend I found I was able to recreate the issue at will if I put it in first gear and just barely press the pedal. Got tied up replace a cv joint so didn't get much further than that, but assuming its a throttle issue at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. I was leaning towards throttle body, but I’m not as mechanically inclined as you so I won’t be taking it on myself. I guess I’ll be taking it into the shop in the coming days. I’ll post an update afterwards for anyone that’s interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks, glad I found this forum. I am having the same issue with my 2018 Sport, I purchased the vehicle brand new, it has 24K miles on it. The surging started about 6 months ago, and now it happens more often. I am going to give the dealership a call and bring it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plot twist guys.... I have a 2015 Taurus with 113000 on the clock and started experiencing the exact condition. The difference is... mine is normally aspirated (no turbo). So, it obviously has zero to do with boost or "lag". Just FYI for those collecting clues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this post about this same issue. I have a 2017 Explorer platinum and it's doing the same thing at start up. Did anyone find the root cause of this issue? Weird that it doesn't show up any codes. I have noticed that hesitation is worse when the temperatures are colder. Could it be something with the Rail pressure not building enough pressure and then when it starts running it gets up to the pressure where the jerking/ hesitation stops? I'm planning on taking mine in to the dealer but i'm sure they will come up with something to replace just to get me out of their hair. Let me know if anyone has any information on this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read somewhere it was a torque converter issue. It's such a small thing I'm living with it.
It sure would be nice to put bow on it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone seems to explain the issue differently could it be transmission shudder. Saw this video and on my 2013 naturally aspirated i get the same rpm jump when my explorer surges. It might notbwork but I'm going to give this a try. This video claims to fix the transmission shudder by removing the transmission oil, adding a while bottle of lucas transmission additive then adding the ford transmission fluid back. He claims it took a little driving to completely remove the shudder/hesitation/surging whatever you wanna call it but this is a pretty cheap fix to try so i hope to try this in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So tonight i finally got around to replacing the transmission fluid on my 2013 explorer. You would not believe the difference in how the car felt. I went from feeling the hesitant/shudder every time i drove to having a completely smooth ride. I did use the motorcraft Mercon LV transmission fluid because from all my research these transmissions are super touchy. And just like the video I posted previously i put in the Lucas Transmission fluid first then followed up with 3.5 bottles of the Mercon LV so ive got about 4.5 quarts in. I didn't want to overfill it so I'll drive it around some and check the levels to see if it need any more. So i highly suggest changing you transmission fluid if you have the hesitation/surging while driving. You would think the surging would be an engine issue but apparantly not. Go figure :unsure:. Anyways hope this helps!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts